Boys Lacrosse Hopeful for Another Successful Season

Colin Peters

Now that spring sports are underway, the Boys Varsity Lacrosse team reassembles as they look to secure a state championship. 

With the 2024 roster confirmed, the Scouts are set to have 16 players return from last year. With a similar roster from the previous season, team experience and chemistry shouldn’t be an issue. 

Senior Graham Garrigan and LFHS Alumnus Jake Clemens force the ball out of a Huntley player. (Colin Peters)

Captains Oscar Kokke, Augie Silver, Graham Garrigan, and Marty Hippel will be leading the team this year, and are all entering their third or fourth year as varsity players. The Scouts also have other large contributors entering their third varsity season, such as junior defenseman Danny Van Camp and junior midfielder Lucas Kroner. 

Last year’s Scouts team had an impressive run finishing third in the state following a 13-4 loss to St. Viator in the 3A semifinals. The team two years ago came in second with a 6-5 loss to Loyola Academy in the state finals. While the Scouts have fallen just short of a state title in the last couple of years, it seems as if this team has what it takes to go all the way. 

“I feel like we have a really solid squad this year with all the potential to go far,” said defensive midfielder Huston O’Neil. “We definitely have a good shot at state.” 

Not only do the players see the potential of the team, but so do outside rankings. Mike Gabel of True Lacrosse, a popular club team in the Chicago area, ranked the Scouts third in his preseason rankings, just behind St. Viator and Glenbard West.  But with the team’s previous and predicted success, there are high expectations for this season. Not only from the state, but from the players as well.

Senior Graham Garrigan keeps a defender at bay during there win at Huntley in the IHSA sectional. (Colin Peters)

“Nothing short of a state championship will satisfy us,” said defenseman Danny Van Camp. “We know we’re capable and we’re ready to get it.”

Even though the Scouts are under pressure to win the state championship, they have everything they need to make it happen. The leadership, experience, and talent the upperclassmen provide when paired with the skills of the new underclassmen is a recipe for success.  Additionally, the core of this team is heading into their third year alongside one another, meaning team chemistry is only getting stronger. 

“This team has amazing chemistry. It’s still early in the season, but we are already working well together,” said defensive-midfielder Joe Remus. 

The Scouts begin their journey to the state championship this Thursday at Fremd. The home opener is this Saturday in a top three matchup against Glenbard West.