Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Cold Chicago Temperatures Continue to Harm Homeless Population

Photo+courtesy+of+Wikimedia+Commons.+
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

In the past month, the Chicagoland area has been experiencing cold temperatures at the most extreme level. After the day is done, we get to go into our warm houses and escape the cold, however not everyone is this fortunate. 

Local homeless individuals are not able to escape the cold temperatures which, at their worst, had wind chills causing  temperatures as low as -30° Fahrenheit. 

Temperatures like these are wildly unsafe, causing great harm to the homeless population.

The City of Chicago was pushed to activate an emergency plan that opens additional warming centers for migrants and residents in order to provide them with safe accommodations.  

According to CBS News, these intense temperatures have the ability to be extremely detrimental to those without a warm place to stay. 

“Residents are warned to limit time outdoors and expect slippery road conditions and wind chills that could cause frost bite to exposed skin in as little as 30 minutes.” 

An instruction nearly impossible for homeless individuals to adhere to. Which is why as of Jan.  21st, there have been at least eight deaths with the primary cause being cold exposure.  Many nearby organizations are working to improve the living conditions of the homeless in winter months, and combat the likelihood of the weather’s adverse effects. 

If you are interested in lending a helping hand to children who are suffering from these cold temperatures, local organization Fill a Heart 4 Kids (FAH4K) has volunteering opportunities.

Since 2007, FAH4K has been actively working to provide necessities and life skills to homeless, foster, and at-risk children. 

“I was there last week helping to pack coats for the homeless through a coat drive,” said Fill a Heart 4 Kids Junior Board member Ryan Rice. “We packed tons of bags of coats and got to drop them off at schools in order to help kids in need.”

To volunteer, visit the FAH4K website and find their Sign Up Genius.

“I highly recommend that people go to Fill A Heart and volunteer. It’s an easy way to make a big impact on kids who need it,” Rice said. 

Another great way to help the local homeless population is volunteering through the PADS Shelter Program. 

PADS operates between October 30th and April 1st, providing individuals with a safe place to sleep and warm meals during the poor weather conditions of the winter months. 

According to the PADS website, the program is always looking for volunteers.  They have sites in Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Glenview, Mount Prospect, and other nearby locations. 

To volunteer and learn more about this organization, visit the PADS website