Life of a Badminton Star: Q&A with Isabella Adams

Adams and her first place metal at the Hersey invite. Courtesy of LFHS Varsity Badminton Instagram

Isabella Adams is a junior on the badminton team, and is looking forward to her third season on Varsity. Adams, an incredible athlete, shares some of her experiences with badminton and participating in this sport at such a high level.

How long have you been playing badminton?

“I’ve been playing badminton since the end of fifth grade. My friend had recommended it to me and at first I wasn’t too excited to try it. But, as I got more into it, I really started enjoying it.”

How do you prepare for badminton in the off-season?

“I attend a club called Midwest Badminton Academy and go to practice two times a week.”

Does having a doubles partner who you’re close to help your performance?

“My doubles partner, Valarie Jiao (senior), and we have become really close friends. We have a lot of trust in each other and we communicate well because of our friendship. We are able to tell each other about things we need to improve on better. Also, last year at one of our meets, we had a miscommunication and I accidentally hit her, so I think that us being friends helps us forgive each other and move on.”

Do you see yourself going to State sometime in your high school career?

“I hope so, and I’m definitely working hard to make it there. But, it’s a much more competitive sport than people realize, and sometimes it’s been hard to even qualify for sectionals.”

What do you like most about badminton?

“It allows me to be active but in a very social way. I love meeting new people on the court and learning about different schools. I definitely enjoy the school season more than the club because I feel like our team is really nice and welcoming.”

What is challenging about the sport?

“The mental game is really tough. Playing against new people each time who have different techniques and skills can make you feel really frustrated, and it can throw you off during the game. Also, going into a match with the mentality that you have as good a chance as anybody else to win a match is challenging, as well as having confidence in yourself.”

Are you looking to pursue badminton in college?

“I’m not looking to go to college specifically for badminton, but it’s definitely a pro if the school has a club or somewhere nearby to play as I love the environment and making friends.”

For players who want to start, what advice would you give them?

“Just try out because, to be honest, I didn’t think I would make Varsity my freshman year. When I did, I questioned whether I would get along with everyone. But, it became something I looked forward to everyday after school. And, even though it is a six-day commitment, I wouldn’t trade it for any other team sport.”