Varsity Boys Basketball Gears Up for a Redemption Season

Photo courtesy of Colin Peters.
Photo courtesy of Colin Peters.

The beginning of the 2023-2024 LFHS Varsity Boys Basketball season is days away. The Scouts have their first game of the year this Monday, Nov. 20, against Taft High School. 

After that, the Scouts go on a nine-game road trip up until their home opener on Dec. 15 against Stevenson High School.

The Varsity Boys Basketball Team is looking to bounce back from the long playoff run to the IHSA Sectional Championship last season that ended with a close loss against Grayslake Central. 

After a very successful and dominant season, the Scouts are planning on making a comeback and taking the Sectional title this year.

Photo courtesy of Colin Peters

Seniors Tommie Aberle and BT Taiwo plan on leading the team this year. With Aberle’s gritty playing style and Taiwo’s athleticism, the team has a strong core leading them this season. 

“I plan on making strong connections with the younger players and building on strengthening my connections with my teammates that I have played with before,” Aberle said. 

Seniors Campbell Allan, Aiden Puthenveetil, and Ryan Hippel will also contribute to the team’s main base. 

“This off-season has been great for the younger guys, we have depth with some of the juniors who have really been showing up on the court and in the weight room,” Taiwo said. 

The close game in the Sectional Championship has had a lasting effect on the team this off-season. 

The loss has made them want to work harder on the court and in the weightroom to make sure that they will not fall short in a loss like that again.

A big part of the team’s success at home has been the dedicated student section. Throughout the years, it has been proven that the bigger the student section the bigger the score is for the Scouts. 

“We need students to pack the place every game,” Head Varsity Coach, Phil LaScala said. “The coaches notice the team’s performance is stronger when they have a whole town on their back.” 

Developing a stronger bond within the team has led the Scouts in the right direction for the ultimate goal of taking home the Sectional and State Title.

“Being together on and off the court has allowed us to have become closer as a team,” Aberle said. 

After losing some very impactful, star players Asa Thomas and Noah Portilatin, Aberle and Taiwo said that underclassmen “will need to step up to fill those roles.” 

The loss of a D1 basketball star means more opportunity to see young talent find their places on the team and strive to get better as the season progressions. 

Junior Hudson Scroggins is seen as a big and versatile player that is willing to get his hands dirty on defense and in the paint.  Junior Grant Mordini is looking to make a comeback year after tearing a ligament in his knee.

With the game coming up on Monday, the Scouts plan to make a statement win against Taft and start the season out on the right foot. 

With playoffs already in mind, the team plans on making a powerful and strenuous run at a Sectional and potentially State title and building stronger connections on and off the court.

Here are the projected starting five for this upcoming season: 

Tommie Aberle (Point guard)

BT Taiwo (Guard)

Hudson Scroggins (Forward)

Campbell Allan (Guard/wing)

Efe Yardimci (guard)