It’s Time For Christmas Music!

Sydney Kirages

As the Halloween candy settles in our stomachs, and we prepare to turn the clocks back an hour, our dreams begin to fill with thoughts of pumpkin pie, a stuffed turkey, and the Christmas season. 

But the Holiday Season doesn’t truly begin until Christmas music is available 24/7 on the radio. Yes, I know it’s available 24/7 on Spotify. And that day is upon us. At 4:00 this afternoon, Chicago’s 93.9 Lite FM will flip the switch. And I say bring it on. 

Christmas is my favorite time of year and the earlier I can get into the season, the better. Of course, I’m not arguing for Christmas music before Halloween, just a day or two after. And, why not? The stores have been slowly changing over since August. 

Listening to Christmas music on the radio is the epitome of anticipation and joy; it’s a pleasant surprise and a long forgotten memory.

The way I look at it, leading up to Halloween, stores are preparing us for the advent of Christmas music. Today, we are ready, waiting, and hoping to hear that very first Christmas song on the LITE FM. 

Sure, some people think that before Thanksgiving is too soon for Christmas music, but I say, what’s the harm in spreading joy a little earlier? 

Given that the stores are stacked with Christmas trees and Black Friday Deals are now disguised as Amazon Prime Days, why can’t the music match what we are seeing anyway? After all, along with the music comes parties, cookies, the Hallmark Countdown to Christmas, and cocoa. The music is just setting the stage for all the fun things that come with the holiday season. 

Sure, some people argue that we need to give homage to Thanksgiving and we can’t start the Christmas music before then – but really, I think this is just an excuse to give Pumpkin Spice Lattes a longer season. Why can’t we drink those lattes with the holiday music in the background? Holiday music does not require cocoa. Whipped cream or foam, with “Frosty The Snowman” in the background, I am content. 

Listening to Christmas music on the radio exemplifies Christmas magic. You turn on the radio, and you wait, hoping that the song you want to hear is played. It is the epitome of anticipation, and joy, it’s a pleasant surprise, and a long forgotten memory. Christmas music on the radio is a mini version of opening a Christmas gift; you never know what you’re going to get until the song starts.

It’s Nov. 2, and I am ready. Tonight, at precisely 4:00, my car radio will be tuned to LITE FM. My windows will be down, and whether it is Mariah Carey singing “All I Want For Christmas is You” or Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas,” I will be singing along.  

Christmas music is about friends, family, winter break, and escapism. It’s the perfection of the Hallmark romance, the smell of cookies baking in the oven, and grandma’s potpourri simmering in that strange little pot. Let’s get to the merriest season of all. I’m ready.

View Comments (1)
$500
$800