8 Weeks in… How do Bears fans feel?

After a really hyped-up offseason, Bears fans have seemingly given up on the season when starting 2-6.

Lake Forest students and staff are frustrated with the team’s performance so far and feel “hopeless” for the future. There is a lot of controversy on what the problem is in Chicago: Is it QB Justin Fields, or is it his surrounding cast?

“I think it’s a coaching problem, not winning a game for over a year speaks for itself.” said staff member Martin Pacheco. Pacheco, a longtime Bears fan, has more experience watching his team than most students do.

Bears fans are embarrassed with the way their team has failed to display success in recent years. Up until Week 5 of this season, the Bears had gone over 365 days without a win.

“Justin Fields would be the answer if he had a supporting cast. For his own sake, he should try to get out of Chicago,” said senior Aiden Puthenveetil. Puthenveetil has been a Bears fan since he was a kid, and it’s safe to say that he’s had low expectations due to the Bears’ production over the years. “I’d draft Marvin Harrison Jr (Top WR Prospect from Ohio State), along with Caleb Williams (2022 Heisman Trophy Winner, QB Projected #1 Overall from USC). I would trade Justin (Fields) and use those picks for a better O-Line or Secondary.”

Currently, the Carolina Panthers have the 2nd worst record in the NFL (1-6). Since the Bears gave up the #1 overall pick to Carolina in exchange for a 2023 first and a 2024 first (and of course star WR DJ Moore), Chicago is expected to have the 2nd overall pick choice this upcoming draft.

Many Bears fans hope that GM Ryan Poles will use these incredible draft positions to either draft these stud offensive college prospects, or try to build a strong o-line in addition to Darnell Wright (Rookie 1st Round OT from Tennessee), to protect either Justin Fields or potentially Caleb Williams. 

At this point, fans have started giving up on this year, especially with the Lions’ dominance in the NFC North. Like every year, it’s time to look to the offseason. The city of Chicago has endured too much pain for too long, so a good use of next year’s draft capital is essential to a rebuild.