Friday Five

Each week we highlight five people who are doing their part to make LFHS a better place
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Taylor Ross

Maeve Farrell

Junior Maeve Farrell is a natural born leader who is not afraid to take charge. 

This year, her third as a member of Student Council, Farrell is Junior Class President. 

Junior Class Vice President Grace Donovan said Farrell’s dedication and leadership to Student Council is “admirable,” and said she “loves” working with her. 

“Maeve is an extremely hard worker, and I can always count on her for anything student council related. She always has the perfect solution to any bumps in the road,” said Donovan. 

Farrell is involved in a variety of clubs such as Science Olympiad and is a member of the Math Team. She is also an active member of Varsity Field Hockey and Lacrosse for all three of her high school years. She is admired for her hard work on the field by not only her teammates, but her coach as well. 

“Maeve is not only a natural athlete and leader but she is also the hardest working player on the field. There is nothing that Maeve cannot do if given time,” said Varsity girls field hockey coach Cat Catanzaro. “Watching her development over the last two years in field hockey proves that she is willing to do what is necessary to be the best.”

Camille Brincat

As a member of the Lake Forest Dance Team, Fellow Christian Athletes (FCA), and student council, sophomore Camille Brincat is a very involved student at LFHS. 

Brincat’s warm, welcoming demeanor is most memorable. The way she presents herself to others truly embodies the idea of a Lake Forest Scout. 

“Camille is the type of person to always put her best foot forward and help others in need,” said sophomore Josie Irvin. 

Brincat’s hard work remains consistent, and although a varsity sport can be demanding and time consuming, that doesn’t stop her from challenging herself academically. 

“If she isn’t at practice, then she’s home finishing her homework or studying for a test. She always stays on top of her schoolwork, and sets herself up for success,” said junior Graydon Duncan. 

As an incoming freshman, Brincat tried out for the Lake Forest Dance Team. She was a huge asset to her team, which led to their 1st place victory at conference. 

Going into her sophomore year Brincat made the Varsity team. Even as an underclassmen she continues to impress her teammates with her hard work. 

“Camille comes into practice everyday ready to put 110% effort into anything she does, and it pays off. She approaches everything with a positive attitude which really motivates the rest of the team,” said teammate Blakely Rice. 

Brincat continues to train with her team as they wrap up their sideline season, and dive right into their road to Nationals in February. 

Ava Bleck

Senior Ava Bleck has been a triple varsity sport athlete since freshman year. Her secret motivation? Popcorn after practice.

The diver, gymnast and avid track and field athlete made it to State last spring for pole vault after clearing 10’ 6” and medaling 3rd at Sectionals. She trains off season for pole vault, driving nearly 6 hours a week round trip to a program in Joliet during the winter/early spring. In the summer she trains at Lake Zurich High School. 

Bleck is a favorite amongst her teammates because of  her work ethic and positivity.

“She is genuinely the best member on the team, like you could ask anyone. She is always happy and never complains about a single thing she has to do,” said senior teammate Georgia Mannerino. 

Coach Steve Clegg also applauded Bleck’s work ethic. 

“She is a really hard worker and last year is a really good example by making it to the State meet. She devoted a lot of her time in the off season and is really good under pressure. She came up with some of her best jumps under pressure,” he said.

During the summer, she lifeguards at Lake Bluff Park District, where she is “always willing to do extra work and is always positive,” co-worker Kate Bienkowski said. 

She is also passionate about photography and filming.

“Ava is so positive. She is always laughing and is always ready to cheer someone up,” said Lucy Partington. “In New Media she’s always ready to help out wherever she can.” 

Bleck also has a food finsta with her best friend Courtney Fitgerald called stickypieceofgum. “Ava is a ball of energy. Anywhere you go you can always find her skipping towards you with a smile on her face,” said senior Courtney Fitzgerald.

“She just brightens up everything and makes you happy,” said senior Hanna Sands.

Rickey Myles

You may know him as the man with the air horn, but Rickey Myles is more than a man with a microphone. In fact, Mr. Myles is one of the longest-serving and most dedicated staff members at LFHS, having started at the school in 1984. 

Each week students are treated to the high-energy speech from Myles, who aims to hype up the lunchroom crowd in support of the teams who will be playing that day or the coming weekend.  

“Rickey Myles has been here longer than anybody in this building, which is really impressive in a lot of ways. Longevity is important, but also it depends on a variety of factors of why you would be here that long. He loves Lake Forest High School; I know people see him in a variety of places in the lunch room. He is genuinely firing up folks, terrifying freshmen, but also just getting the student body to be able to rally, and it’s a wonderful thing. Obviously people think it’s just football or basketball, but it’s really something bigger than that. In fact, I can’t think of another person who could actually pull that off,” said New Media teacher Steve Douglass. 

Myles has shown kindness and compassion towards students at LFHS for decades.  He is there every day with amazing energy and kindness and raising the spirits of everyone around him.

“Every single day I see Mr. Myles in the hallway, and I’ve known him since I was around three years old, and every single day I see him, he always smiles from ear to ear, and I always ask him how his day is going and he always says ‘better because I saw you,’” said sophomore Kayden Prieto.

Sophomore Ford Davie says Myles is a “legend.”

“I’m not gonna lie, at the end of the week you feel really tired out, but there is always that one person there to remind you about what Lake Forest High School stands for, and that is Mr.  Rickey Myles. That man is a legend. Every Friday before a game he pumps us up and gets us ready to live.  Friday night is all about living, and Rickey Myles is the definition, the example, of living in this town. God bless Mr. Myles,” he said.

High school can be tough. Classes can be a struggle, and being in a competitive sport can be stressful mentally and physically. Myles helps us all see past the difficulties, the hard work, and the challenge of the commitment.  He reminds us of the things that are most important: staying positiveand celebrating every moment of life in high school ,which lasts such a short amount of time.

“It really brings up my spirits; it gets me in the game, while I’m eating, I’m in a mellow mood, and sometimes I stress about what’s gonna happen during the game. But when he talks, it really uplifts me and really makes me feel like I can do my best and succeed in a sport that I play,” sophomore Alex Toomer said.

Hannah Belenkiy

Junior Hannah Belenkiy is a force of nature.

The student leader of the Animal Conservation club is an academic weapon and a remarkably kind person. She is an inspiration to the people around her. She gives her all to every single thing she does and her commitment to her beliefs is clear. 

“Hannah makes everyone feel welcome in the club and always has a positive attitude,” Animal Conservation sponsore Mrs. Herget said. 

Belenkiy and her fellow leaders founded the club because of their dedication and aspirations to protect animals, and to bring people who shared that dedication together in a comforting environment.

Mrs. Herget described her as “passionate about helping endangered animals,” as well as devoted to helping animals within the community. 

Hannah’s positivity and optimism is apparent to everyone around her, especially her friends. 

Hannah has a contagious, positive attitude, and is always brightening up the day of those around her. She personifies what it means to be a hardworking, humble, and loving person,”  junior Natalie Lamartin said. 

Although she is an expert in consistency, Belenkiy is no stranger trying new things. Her willingness to open her horizons to new experiences is heavily admired by her peers. 

As much as they applaud her hard work, many of Hannah’s friends also believe she deserves a break.

“I hope she has fun in college. She works her butt off, and I just wish she could relax sometimes,” Chloe Atkins, said.

To put it lightly, Belenkiy’s continual positive energy is never undetected. 

Hannah is simply just the kindest person I know,” said Lamartin.