Playoff Time Arrives Early for Scouts

Senior+RB+Graham+Garrigan+lining+up+before+the+snap+vs+Stevenson.+
Colin Peters
Senior RB Graham Garrigan lining up before the snap vs Stevenson.

The Scouts started their season strong with a 4-1 record, giving them the opportunity to secure a playoff spot with just one more win. However, they come off three straight losses and with one game left in their schedule, they sit at 4-4. 

Friday’s home game against Mundelein is for all the marbles. If Lake Forest wins, they clinch a playoff spot. If they lose, they pack their bags and call it a season. Mundelein, sitting at 4-4 as well, have the same stakes.

“We’re treating this like a playoff game because it basically is one,” said junior RB Marty Hippel. “Everyone knows how important this game is. We’re playing with our season on the line.”

The Scouts look to regain the momentum they had built prior to their losing streak. The offense has struggled in the last two games, combining for zero points and committing seven turnovers.

“The last two games haven’t been fun, obviously,” said junior QB Danny Van Camp. “But we just need to forget about the past and focus on this Friday. We’re the most determined we’ve been all year.”

Van Camp, who was questionable heading into the game due to a thumb injury, expects to play without any issues. 

Similar to the offense, the defense had its struggles. In the last two weeks, they allowed a combined 77 points. However, captain LB Carl Carlson said Mundelein’s offense is “pretty average” compared to what they’ve faced in recent weeks.

“The last two offenses have been much more physical, which makes every small mistake on our part have a significant impact. This week is different,” said Carlson.

Head Coach Chuck Spagnoli examines pre-snap alignments. (Colin Peters)

Head Coach Chuck Spagnoli said the players need to improve their first read.

“If you’re not executing what your primary responsibility is, then it’s hard to execute anything that comes over and above that,” Spagnoli said. “Whether it’s the leverage a receiver faces or the separation between an opposing corner, the first responsibility is crucial.”

Everything comes down to this Friday, and the players and coaches know it. The motto that the players came up with this week: “Get our swagger back.”