Taming the Wolves

Varsity hockey beats #5 St. Ignatius
Senior Teddy Huddlestun earned 34 saves in the Scout win.
Luke Cheng

After a challenging 1-4 start to the SHL season, the Lake Forest Varsity Gold hockey team rebound from a previously tough loss at home to St. Viator, and claimed a road victory over the #5 ranked St. Ignatius Wolfpack at the Fifth/Third Arena, which is the Chicago Blackhawks practice arena.

This was not the first time the two teams had faced off; the Scouts  lost a close game at home 5-3 on Sept. 24.

After giving up a goal in the early first period of play, a goal from senior Thomas Santaniello would even out the score. The two teams would not see another goal until the third period when senior Jackson Drum came up with his own, making it 2-1. Senior goaltender Teddy Huddlestun made 34 saves in the Scouts win as the team picked up their 2nd win of the SHL season.

Senior Zach Shoemaker praised the team’s defense.

“Our zone coverage was the best strength of the game. We were picking up the opponent’s sticks and not letting the other team take the puck back door,” he said. “We stayed locked up on their offense.”

He also praised Huddlestun’s performance.

“Another big strength was Teddy’s play. Teddy stepped up the most when we needed him the most and played great making 34 saves,” he said.

Shoemaker reflected on the team’s win and how it would affect the rest of the season.

“We were on a bad losing streak and we realized that we can beat one of the team’s that has had a good start to the season, It’s important to remember this for later on in the season because we are aware of teams we have beaten before and teams we have not,”

The Scouts have yet another rematch this at home Sunday at  5:30 pm vs the #3 ranked Glenbrook North. The Scouts fell 5-0 at GBN’s home ice on Sept 30.