Win and In: Scouts Look to Secure Playoff Spot against Lake Zurich

Senior+Tommie+Aberle+showing+frustration+over+a+call+at+the+Stevenson+game+
Colin Peters
Senior Tommie Aberle showing frustration over a call at the Stevenson game

The Scouts’ undefeated record in their conference ended this week with a 24-13 loss to Stevenson on home turf. It came as a shocker considering the Scouts were favored in that game.

Junior running back Marty Hippel said they made too many “costly mistakes” that led to the loss.

Whenever the Scouts picked up any momentum, like on captain wide receiver Torian James’ massive fourth and sixth conversion to start the fourth quarter, they lost it soon after with unfortunate flags or miscommunications.

“Everyone felt we were the better team,” Hippel said. “We knew we should’ve won that game.”

Running back Marty Hippel prepares for the next snap against Stevenson (Colin Peters)

Although the upset is disappointing, there is still a lot of optimism between the players of winning the conference.

Sitting at 3-1 in the conference, the Scouts are tied at second place with their opponents for this Friday’s game: Lake Zurich. A win this week would give Lake Forest sole possession of second place and the opportunity to take first place with a win against Warren next week. Not only would it put the Scouts in a great position to win their respective conference, but a win also secures a playoff spot. 

A crucial game? Obviously. However, the Scouts don’t think the pressure will get to them.

“None of us are worried about Lake Zurich,” junior quarterback Danny Van Camp said. “They are a very solid team and it will be a great fight, but I know my guys will absolutely give everything they have to come out with a win.”