A Promising Season for the Scouts Varsity Hockey Team

Varsity Scouts during the national anthem before a game vs. Carmel Catholic. Photo courtesy of Luke Cheng (@cheng.flicks)

It is that time of year again for the Scouts Hockey Club as the Varsity Gold team and organization gear up for another season ahead. The 2022-2023 season, the Scouts first year in the SHL (Scholastic Hockey League), did not go the way Varsity Gold was hoping for, finishing 6-19-2 through regular season play, and falling to New Trier White in the first round of the playoffs. 

There were indeed some positive factors to the season, however. The Scouts picked up a huge 3-1 victory over the reigning SHL cup champion, Loyola Ramblers. The Scouts also were fortunate to have played a game at the All-State Arena on January 29th vs the York Dukes, and left the arena with a 5-2 victory. 

Varsity Gold will be adding three new, yet key veteran players in seniors, Thomas Santiniello, Demetri Fallidas, and Ky Camardo. Santiniello spent the past three years with the AAA Milwaukee Admirals team. Fallidas and Camardo both spent last season with the Central States Falcons hockey club. 

Junior Jack Walsh is looking forward to the upcoming season.

“I’m excited for everything. I think we have a really good team here and we could make a deep playoff run later in the season. It’s a good group of guys and I think we are all building really good team chemistry so I’m very excited to see how far this team goes,”

He followed up on the team’s strong group of captains.

“I’d say I look up most to Michael Dhamer. Even though we play different positions, he is a great leader and there is a lot to learn from him on the ice,”

The Scouts are hungry for redemption and looking to pick up more wins with it’s already packed roster. They have very promising forward and defensive depth, followed by a great tandem of goalies in between the pipes, in seniors Teddy Huddlestun and Andrew Sommers. 

Seniors Teddy Huddlestun and Andrew Sommers’ pregame ritual. Photo courtesy of Luke Cheng (@cheng.flicks)

We got to see some of this promising action in September  when they were selected to play in the 2023 Illinois High School Varsity Hockey Pre-Season.  They went 3-0 in round-robin play, but fell in a 3-man overtime shootout vs. the Waubonsie Warriors in the quarterfinal round.

Head Coach Steve Sarauer praised the team chemistry.  

“We had a great group last season but since we have such a big class of graduating seniors this season they seem to understand this is their last season and they’re going to come together as a group,” said Sarauer.

He also mentioned that the Scouts are relying heavily on captains Teddy Huddlestun and Michael Dhamer, and assistant captains Zach Shoemaker and Murphy Moorhead.

“These four are great at getting the team going and they want to win at all costs, this will be contagious to the rest of the team,” said Sarauer.

There is also talk about the SHL Playoffs.

“With the addition of Fenwick and St. Ignatius the league now has 11 teams, but still, only 8 make the playoffs. It will be tougher to make the playoffs this season but we have the talent to accomplish this. There is no doubt in my mind that we will be a contender at the end of the season for the State Championship,” said Sarauer. 

Currently, the Scouts sit 1-4 in league play, having fallen to St. Viator 5-2 through 3 periods of play last night. 

Upcoming notable Varsity Gold events:

• Pucks N’ Poms vs. Carmel Catholic: Nov. 22 at  6:30 pm.
  • Lake Forest vs.York @ All State Arena: Dec. 23.  Time: TBD
  • Winter Club Classic: TBD
  • Senior Night: TBD