How you feeling about prom on a boat?

Exploring Alternative Paths: Why Some Students Opt Not to Attend College

A Look at the Reasons Behind Choosing Different Educational Routes
Bulletin+board+in+the+front+hallway+of+LFHS+advertises+college+opportunities.+However%2C+an+increasing+number+of+graduates+are+choosing+different+paths+that+dont+include+a+traditional+college+degree.+
Evan Haussermann
Bulletin board in the front hallway of LFHS advertises college opportunities. However, an increasing number of graduates are choosing different paths that don’t include a traditional college degree.

In this day and age, a college degree is considered the standard path to success. While this is true for many, an increasing number of high school graduates are choosing alternative routes. More and more options are becoming available for students who may want more specific endeavors. 

College is not necessarily for everyone:

Financial Considerations: 

One of the primary factors driving students away from college is the rising cost of tuition. Student loans can haunt graduates for years, making them question the return on investment. To avoid years of debt, some high school students choose to start working right after graduation at entry-level positions, working their way up in the industry later on.

Entrepreneurial Ambitions: 

The rise of entrepreneurship as a viable career path has captivated the minds of many young individuals. While it may be an unreliable dream, as many businesses fail months after starting up – there are quite a few success stories achieved by passing over a college degree in pursuit of an individual business. 

Pursuit of Skill-Based Careers: 

Not all career paths require a traditional college degree. Many vocational and technical careers –  such as electricians, plumbers, and carpenters – offer lucrative opportunities with good pay that don’t require any form of degree. Students who have a passion for hands-on work are increasingly turning to trade schools and apprenticeships as avenues to hone their skills.

Not any one option is the “right” option:

It’s essential to remember that the decision not to attend college does not equate to a lack of ambition or intelligence. Rather, it reflects a shift in societal attitudes toward different paths to success. As students weigh their options, many students will choose to go to college and other schooling, those who don’t often end up just as successful with just as much fulfillment in life.

Enriched study hall advisor Mr. David Hain acknowledges that college is not for every student, but stresses the importance of students having a post-graduate plan, no matter the direction they want to take. 

“I think that if you are not going to college, it’s really important to have a plan,” said Hain. “The primary advantage of not going to college is time. While other students are spending their time in class going to college living in dormitories, you can be out there getting experience building, your career, developing professional, contacts, etc.” 

Physics teacher Mr. Matthew Wilen, holds a different perspective. 

“Students should go to college because it can open doors to new opportunities. Meeting certain professors, getting an internship, meeting new people to network with through clubs, sports, greek life, etc may help with networking and getting your foot in the door for a certain profession,” said Wilen. “Along with that is the obvious that a college degree is required for many professions or by employers. “

The other side: the benefits of going to college

Expanded Career Opportunities: 

Perhaps the most widely recognized benefit of a college education is the access it provides to a broader range of career opportunities. Many professions require a bachelor’s degree as a minimum qualification, and some fields, such as medicine, law, and engineering, demand advanced degrees for entry. A college degree opens doors to a multitude of professions and increases the chances of securing well-paying jobs.

Personal Growth and Development: 

College is not just about gaining technical knowledge; it is also a transformative experience that fosters personal growth and development. Students are exposed to diverse perspectives, engage in critical thinking, and develop valuable skills such as communication, problem-solving, and time management.

Networking Opportunities:

College provides a unique environment for building connections and networking. Students interact with peers, professors, and industry professionals, creating valuable relationships that can lead to internships, job offers, and mentorships. These connections often play a crucial role in career advancement.

There isn’t one perfect path:

Although there are many benefits to going to school, many can’t afford the opportunity and sometimes college does not align with their goals. It is important to look at the benefits of both and figure out what works best for you.

$700
$800