Which senior superlative best describes you?

LFHS Orchestra Farewell Concert

Courtesy of Sydney Kirages.

As we approach the end of the school year, the LFHS Music program performs their final concerts. At LFHS, students have the opportunity to perform a senior solo. Unlike the band and choir, the orchestra does things a little bit differently; Mr. Bassill gives every senior the opportunity to play a solo of their choosing.

“This tradition started before me, and I think it is one of the unique aspects of our orchestra program. Many other schools require an audition for senior solos, which can lead to the same people always playing the solos! It isn’t the path everyone needs to follow,” said Mr. Bassill, orchestra director.

The final concert for the orchestra will be a compilation of nine soloists concluding with Farewell Symphony, composed by Joseph Haydn.

The soloists who will perform vary in experience. From playing for four years to playing since they were three years old, the final concert gives every senior a space to celebrate their talents.

“There may be members of the orchestra and audience who have been listening to this senior as part of the entire orchestra’s sound for four years and are now hearing them as soloists in a final farewell,” Bassill said.

Performing a solo can be a challenging experience. Many of the soloists have never performed a solo before.

“I think the challenge of performing a solo with the orchestra also allows seniors to grow as musicians at a time that could be plagued by senioritis,” Bassill said.

Courtesy of Jill Marie Berg.

This experience also comes as an honor to the soloists.

Jill Marie Berg is a foreign exchange student from Norway who has been playing violin in the LFHS Symphony Orchestra this year and has been playing the violin for eleven years. However, Jill is also an incredible vocalist. The senior solos do not limit students to play their orchestra instrument but instead encourages students to share whatever talent they want to most. Berg is a perfect example of this. Berg will sing Solveig’s Song composed by Edvard Grieg.

“The song … will be in Norwegian which means a lot to me as a Norwegian Exchange student,” Berg said.

For other students, their favorite part is being able to share their love of music.

“One of the best parts of being able to play a senior solo is that it gives you the ability to share your talents one last time before graduating as a senior. One of the most rewarding aspects of playing music is to share it with others,” senior Aidan Watts said. 

Courtesy of Aidan Watts.

Overall, the final concert is a place for everyone to come together and celebrate their talents.

“The orchestra is a team, and all the students benefit from the experience of the seniors, so showcasing their talents is one way to express the gratitude the orchestra and I have for the senior class … Whether or not they perform a senior solo, I hope everyone keeps music as part of their life,” Bassill said.

The final orchestra concert of the year will take place on May 29 at 7:30 in the RMA.