Seniors given Opportunity to Appear on Wall of Excellence

Ava Manelis, Editor-in-Chief

In a time of uncertainty for everyone, but more specifically the senior class, a silver lining is the ability to use this free time to apply for the many awards and scholarships available through our school.

The Outstanding Senior Athlete award (also known as OSAA) is one of the many awards offered, specifically by the Boosters Committee, and it’s available for seniors who have participated in an LFHS sport throughout their four years. 

Taking into account the athletic performance, leadership, and sportsmanship of the athletes who apply, four winners will receive a scholarship of $1000 and a photo on the Wall of Excellence whilst several finalists will also appear on the Wall if awarded this honor.

The photos remain up throughout the 2020-2021 school year, with the unveiling of the Wall occuring at the first home football game this upcoming fall.

Seniors can apply for the award by April 6 here and ask any questions that may come up to LFHS Boosters Grants Committee Chair Alana Hender here

To any spring athletes, if the spring season continues to be interrupted due to the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the Boosters Grants Committee will request additional commentary from spring coaches regarding the athlete’s off-season growth and dedication and pre season/tryout performance. 

Last year’s winners of the OSAA include Sarah Considine, Tommy Hanson, Kevin Lamp, and Addie Sidles. 

The other 11 students who got the chance to be on the wall were finalists of the OSAA, winners of awards at Senior Awards Night, or Senior Class/Student Council presidents Ashley Alghini, Emily Asmussen, Ryan Cekay, Danny Fisher, Jake Fisher, Leland Keller, Claire Mahoney, JD O’Keane, Ellie Pearson, Katie Pierce, and Oleksyi Vyshyvanyuk.

As a kid and throughout my years at LFHS, I always looked up to the athletes on the wall and dreamed to one day be on it,” one of the past winners, Emily Asmussen, said. “Being chosen to be one of the athletes was very rewarding and special since I was given the opportunity to represent LFHS not only in athletics but in its values. I feel like the wall is a reminder for athletes to work hard and it is very humbling to be representing your school with your classmates.”