Coming soon: The ‘Mural of Excellence’

Ava Manelis, Editor-in-Chief

Directly facing the student section at West Campus is the prestigious Images of Excellence mural. The mural features faces of many of the students who have shown exceptional athletics, leadership, spirit, and sportsmanship throughout their careers at LFHS. 

On Friday, the students who will be featured on the wall for the upcoming year will be unveiled at halftime of the football game. 

The idea of the mural began with Brian Vandenberg, a board member and supporter of LFHS Boosters, in 2010. He still helps with the photography and graphic design of the mural to this day, said Alana Hender, the LFHS Boosters Grant Coordinator. The mural is also supported by their Corporate Partner, NorthShore University HealthSystem. 

Booster Club Coordinator Mrs. Hender explained that the mural represents the virtues and values embraced at LFHS. These virtues and values can be displayed through the words written on the mural: Acceptance, Character, Commitment, Courage, Empathy, Honor, Integrity, Leadership, Passion, Respect, Responsibility, Scholarship, Spirit, Sportsmanship, and Success.

Mrs. Hender said LFHS has “so many wonderful seniors,” so it was hard for LFHS Boosters to decide on the athletes that would be displayed on the mural. The athletes featured are winners and finalists of LFHS Booster’s Outstanding Senior Athlete Award, the Senior Scholar-Athlete Award, the Bill Rawson Memorial Award, the Gayla Clemons Athletic Award and the Philip Sousa Band Award. The LFHS Student Council President and the LFHS Student Council Senior Class President are also featured on the wall, making a total of 15 seniors.

This year’s honorees are Ashley Alghini, Emily Asmussen, Ryan Cekay, Sarah Considine, Danny Fisher, Jake Fisher, Tommy Hanson, Leland Keller, Kevin Lamp, Claire Mahoney, JD O’Keane, Ellie Pearson, Katie Pierce, Addie Sidles, and Oleksyi Vyshyvanyuk. 

One athlete featured on the wall is Addie Sidles, who played lacrosse and field hockey at LFHS and is now attending Williams College.

“I’m really excited to be on the wall and represent the girl’s lacrosse team. It’s really cool to be on the wall as I’ve seen, played, and practiced at West Campus for three years and always seen the wall, and now I’m on it,” said Sidles.

Sarah Considine is another athlete who played field hockey and is featured on the mural for her outstanding athletics and leadership skills.

“It’s very cool (a bit weird too) to be on the wall. I have always looked up to the athletes featured in the past, and am really excited to be among such a talented group of my peers,” she said. “My experience at LFHS was so special, in large part to the impact that the field hockey program had on me, and I’m so humbled to have the opportunity to represent the sport the wall.”

LFHS Boosters as a whole felt that the 2019 graduates embody the vision that the mural is trying to bring about, and are very excited to unveil the wall this week.