The Highest Quality Game

The Highest Quality Game

Andrew Levin, Staff Writer

Andrew Levin Columnist

I’m not going to sugar coat it: Not many people enjoyed the 2019 Super Bowl. The best play might have been the 65-yard bomb by Rams punter Johnny Hekker. The New England Patriots beat the Los Angeles Rams 13-3, but this game does not reflect the excitement of the NFL and its superiority over college football. 

The Super Bowl wasn’t exciting, but do you remember the College Football Playoff National Championship game last year? Clemson beat Alabama 44-16 in a game that was essentially over in the third quarter. Scoring doesn’t always make a game exciting–the drama often builds from your passion for your favorite team or watching a closely contested game.

The AFC and NFC championship games last year had this high level of drama: the Patriots beat the Chiefs 37-31, and the Rams beat the Saints 26-23. Trips to the Super Bowl, one of the most highly watched television events in the world, were at stake up until the very end of these contests. You didn’t need to be a fan of these teams to feel the excitement. Those games were showcases for why the NFL is great. 

When watching a good team in the NFL, no matter the opponent, you expect a competitive game. The same cannot be said about college football. Teams like Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma consistently win by large amounts. Alabama played 15 games last year and only one of those was decided by 10 points or less. 

Obviously not every team is Alabama. But let’s say you aren’t watching Alabama. You may be watching two okay teams that are playing a competitive game, but you don’t know any of the players. With the NFL, you have watched players get drafted and then followed them around the league. Tom Brady has been in the NFL longer than any student at LFHS has been alive.

The NFL puts the best players in the world out there. Kyler Murray, arguably the best player in all of college football last year, is just another quarterback in the NFL. College football has some really good players. Everyone in the NFL is a really good player. With the NFL, you know what you are getting with each team.

The best thing the NFL has over college football is the playoffs. Making the playoffs in the NFL is based on record. It is objective and based totally on merit that can be measured. In college four teams are chosen by a committee that consistently makes controversial decisions. Great teams are left out of the college football playoffs every single year.

These great teams are sometimes left out because of early-season losses. In college football, if you lose a game early in the season, your chances of making the playoff now become very slim. Some will say that makes every game more important. But it also makes some teams less interesting to watch if you know they have no chance of making the playoff. In the NFL every game is great to watch.

With the NFL, you know what you are getting with each team

Don’t forget about Fantasy Football. Millions of Americans have dedicated their Sundays every week to watching NFL Red Zone, where you can see every touchdown without flipping a channel. Fantasy Football has made the NFL more appealing to many young people because it brings the game alive. It’s easy to play with your friends and it makes the games much more entertaining. Only the NFL has the perk of Fantasy Football.

Watching football is great either way. But you have to choose which type of football you want to watch. If you like watching some good players play inconsistent football…sure, go with college football. If you like watching the world’s best players with the potential for drama in every game, the NFL is for you.

So, Which One Is Better?