Prom Stress: A Quote Story, Part 1–Boys

Prom is easily the most looked forward to dance of the year at any high school in America. However, if you talk to anyone going, or even thinking about attending, the stress that coincides with this “magical night” is, at times, overwhelming. Whether it be trying to find a date, picking out a dress, the ever-existent table drama, or the destination for pre pictures and post parties, people are bound to have one thing go wrong. In this two-part quote story, you will hear from both the boys and the girls of LFHS and what stresses them out when it comes to prom. All interviewees were granted anonymity per request

SENIORS 

“Well, so right now it’s not about prom itself but I have an AP Test right on Monday after that weekend and I’m obviously not going to be doing any studying. So prom plus everything and finishing stuff for school is kinda stressful.”  

“I think it’s really stressful trying to figure out post. School dances kind of suck but I still want to end up with my friends. I think a lot of people think would agree post is the best part.”

“Going to try your tux on is the worst. I had to wait 30 minutes just to try it on and had to make painfully uncomfortable small talk with random parents picking their kids’ tux up. Also, trying a tux on and having it not fit makes you look like a loon.”

“I had to meet with close friends to solidify a list of targets, safeties and reaches. The process was grueling but overall the outcome was just as successful as a real college process”

“I don’t know who is having post, so that will be stressful if we don’t figure that out.”  

JUNIORS

“It’s always hard to find a good way to ask someone. You want to be original because homecoming is so easy and prom is bigger I think.”   

“How do you even set up a table? If you have a bad table–that really sucks.”   

“People ask very early, so if you don’t figure it out early enough, you’re scrambling for a date.”    

“Picking with who you’re going to sit with. I didn’t really get to pick, my date picked. So I think it’s awkward trying to find a balance of having my friends and her friends.”   

“It’s hard to organize because everyone has to figure out who is going with who. Also, people change their mind and then once you figure that out you get stressed about tables.”

“I think it’s really stressful to find a good date, find a table, and get a good group of people for a table. I think people have this idea that they can’t go to prom if they don’t have a date.”  

“I think a lot of people are anxious about tables and finding friends at the table. A lot of people started asking people early and you end up having to asking someone you wouldn’t have originally.”  

“Asking a girl… total pain.”

“It’s a really busy time of year for kids, so trying to put together an elobarate ask is not a priority for a lot of people”