TEDxLFHS Preview: Charlotte Moore

TEDxLFHS Preview: Charlotte Moore

Katie Pierce

As the opening speech for last year’s successful TEDxLFHS, junior Charlotte Moore brought a new focus to one of the latest trends in household pets: chickens.  Her speech, paired with a live visit from her own chickens, was one of the most unique and best received of the entire event. This year, Moore returns with another environmentally conscious speech, this time focusing on pollution and how it affects our oceans.  Listeners will not only learn more about how their everyday actions have an effect on the surrounding world, but also how to change their present actions to have a beneficial impact on the future. I unpacked this, and much more in an interview with Charlotte herself.

You did the TEDx program last year; what was that experience like for you?

“TEDxLFHS is a great way to learn about ideas and passions of other students at LFHS, and even some people from the community. My TED talk was a lot of fun, at least for me. [Chickens are] something that I am super passionate about. With the speech itself, it [didn’t turn out to be] as intimidating as it sounds. I just wrote about what I loved, and had some fun with it!”

Why did you choose chickens?  What about them did you want to teach the community?

“Really, why not chickens? They’re the best little animals to have around. They’re so adorable and they’re pets that [can] give you breakfast. I wanted to [inform] the community about the importance of having chickens–for locally sourced food, for a pet, or as a way to combat the horrible egg industry.”

What specifically about public speaking was intimidating for you?  What challenges did you overcome?

“I was intimidated by the fact that I [had] never [given] a speech before, let alone in front of all my friends (and it would be posted online).  I overcame this by practicing A LOT. I basically just memorized an essay.”

In coming back this year, you’ve changed quite a bit. What inspired this TED talk?

“My TED talk this year is about plastic pollution and how it affects wildlife. I was inspired by my job at the Shedd Aquarium, since I talked about the oceans a lot there (being an interpreter).”

How is this year’s talk going to be different?

“Well, it’s not about chickens. And there will be no live birds with me.”

Why should people come to the TEDx event?

“It’s a way to learn about the most interesting and influential ideas in our community!”

Your talk sounds like it is going to be a call to action.  How do you intend to draw in the community?

“Shedd the Straw! I have to say I am referencing the Shedd Aquariums newest campaign. It’s extremely applicable to everyday life, since one-use plastics are so unnecessary.”

What advice would you give to future speakers?  What should they know about the preparation for this event?

“My advice to future speakers is to write out an entire speech, make sure it sounds conversational and understandable, then read it out loud over and over and over again until you know every single word and every single pause. It sounds like a lot to do, but you end up reading through your talk so much that it is actually quite attainable. More importantly, you should write about something that is personal to you, or that you are truly passionate about. It makes every talk so much more impactful.”

Don’t miss Charlotte, along with a myriad of other speakers, at the TEDx event this Thursday, March 15 during 3rd and 5th periods in the David Miller Theater.

Katie Pierce, Editor in Chief

Katie Pierce is a proud senior at Lake Forest High School. Besides being Editor-in-Chief of TFS, Katie is a drum major of the LFHS band, and spends most...