“Urinetown” Honored with Illinois High School Musical Theater Award Nominations

Isabelle Moore

This spring, the musical Urinetown, performed by the LFHS Theater Department and directed by Mr. Wanninger and Mrs. MacBlane was an overwhelming success. In fact, it is now being awarded with three separate Illinois High School Musical Theater Awards, inlcuding Best Actress (senior Gracie Stockton), Best Director (Mr. John Wanninger and Mrs. Kelly MacBlane), Best Tech Director (Mr. Dennis Mae), and Best Scenic Design (sophomore Ryan Eleveld). Stay tuned to The Forest Scout for features on each of the nominated candidates

The official press release from the LFHS Theater Department is included below:

“The Lake Forest High School Theater Department is excited to announce it was the recipient of three nominations in this year’s IllInois High School Musical Theater Awards competition sponsored by Broadway in Chicago for our production of Urinetown. These nominations included a Best Actress nomination for Gracie Stockton (senior) for her role as Hope Cladwell, Kelly MacBlane (Social Studies/Theater)  and John Wanninger (English) for Best Direction and Dennis Mae (Tech Director)  and Ryan Eleveld (sophomore) for Best Scenic Design. This Illinois chapter of the National High School Musical Theatre Awards (The Jimmy Awards) serves as an annual national celebration of outstanding achievement in musical theater performance by high school students and schools throughout the state. The Lake Forest nominees were selected from 74 competing schools from around the state of Illinois. On June 5th, Gracie will get to participate in a workshop led by Adam Jacobs who is currently performing the role of Aladdin in the National Touring Company of Aladdin here in Chicago. She will then have the opportunity to perform in front of a panel of professional judges for a chance to compete at the national competition in New York City. In the evening of June 5th, the winners will be announced as part of a performance by all acting nominees on stage at the Broadway Playhouse in Chicago. Mrs. MacBlane and Mr. Wanninger are proud of the entire cast, crew and orchestra for their achievements with this show. This is the first year Lake Forest has entered the competition.”

Isabelle Moore, Author

Isabelle Moore is a senior member of the swimming and water polo teams at LFHS. She loves to drown herself in reading, writing, and ceramics. Between obsessing...