Categories:

Homecoming: A Renewed Beginning

Photo courtesy of Lake Forest High School Website

As Homecoming approaches, excitement is in the air and anticipation is building, but there are opportunities to enhance the overall event and make it more engaging for students. 

The week of Homecoming is arguably the most spirited week of the year, therefore, it is crucial to make it favorable to students. Adopting traditions from other high schools’ Homecomings dances may elevate the students’ experience.

Photo courtesy of Bella Bosau

Social Media

Around mid-September, it is common to see videos and pictures on your social media feeds that relate to Homecoming. More frequently, I have been seeing schools promote their Homecoming events by posting videos of innovative ways to reveal the theme of the dance or highlighting a lively student section at the football game.

These are all effective ways to get the students involved, given that social media is a crucial platform for dispersing information. The Student Council should support our social media page by keeping up with the latest trends.

Catering

Offering food during the day of the event is a great idea, especially since many students are often too busy preparing for the dance to grab a quick bite between the pre-party and the Homecoming dance itself.

Partnering with a local restaurant such as Chiefs or The Other Door to sponsor LFHS would promote their business and also be a hit, given that many students frequently dine there.

Refreshments

This topic ties in well with the idea of catering. While there are regular water stands, it may be fun to have a mixologist serve specialty drinks such as Shirley Temples or lavender lemonade, which could draw a lot of attention.

Additionally, with so many people packed into the gym and dancing, it’s natural to get thirsty during the event.

Music

The music selected by the DJ can often be a topic of debate, as people’s taste in music varies significantly. Allowing students to give suggestions for the playlist could create a more enthusiastic audience. Ultimately, the goal is to play songs from multiple different genres that the students can appreciate and enjoy.

$800
$800