Which senior superlative best describes you?

Finding the Ultimate Summer Dress

Graphic from Jillian Duer.

As spring comes to a close, we must come back to the ultimate task: buying a summer wardrobe. 

Summer shopping can be hard for everyone; not only is it exhausting, but also extremely confusing, and stressful. There is nothing more demoralizing than being stuck in a dressing room, trying on dozens of pieces looking for the right outfit, and ultimately coming up empty handed. Or shuffling through hundreds of racks of dresses and tops, only to be left dissatisfied and disappointed. 

That’s why, through the power of online shopping, we’ve created the ultimate need to know list of summer dresses: every occasion, every price point. 

For the Farmers Market

Farmers Markets are arguably one of the best parts of summer. The Lake Bluff Farmers Market, opening on June 7th, is the best spot on an early Friday morning. Whether you’re looking for a warm empanada, or a fresh crepe, or beautiful bouquets, the Farmers Market is the place to go.

Angie Twist Front Maxi Dress – $39.97

For the Farmers Market, I am a firm believer in a long, loose dress. I actually own this same dress in a different color- it has adjustable straps, the fit is extremely flattering, and the fabric is breathable. 

Free People Sweet Nothings Maxi Sundress – $168.00

If you’re looking for a timeless splurge, this dress is the way to go. Available in multiple colors, it’s simple enough to remain a staple in your wardrobe for many years to come. The 100% cotton fabric also makes it a breathable and sustainable option. 

For The Beach 

The Beach is the ideal place to be on a warm day. Not only is it the best place to swim, but it’s also the best place to spend a lazy afternoon reading a book in the sand, or just chatting with friends. 

Free People – Sunnier With You Mini – $78.00

The sleeves on this dress not only provide some sun coverage, but also a little protection from the cold wind coming off the lake! 

Free People One Lausanne Slip –  $98.00

This dress is  easily layered and dressed up or down. The variety of colors makes it incredibly easy to find one complementary to your tastes!

For Brunch with Friends 

Free People Vivi Mini – $78.00

The button up back and side ties on this dress not only provide gorgeous details, but an opportunity to customize the fit to your daily needs! It can also be dressed up or down, depending on your event. 

Aeropostale Sweetheart Eyelet Dress – $34.00

The colors this dress comes in are gorgeous, and the fit and flare skirt would be flattering on any wearer!

Crochet Dresses

Crochet dresses are perfect for every occasion. Not only do they layer well, but the texture and patterns in these dresses provide the perfect show stopping addition to an outfit for any occasion. 

Urban Outfitters Semi-Sheer Crochet Dress – $79.00

Crochet dresses like this one are perfect to throw on as a beach coverup, or just over a plain colored dress. The texture and color give an outfit a chicness, while also being low effort. 

Hollister Women’s Crochet-Style Mini – $39.99

This dress easily provides the look of crochet without the expense, or fragileness of actual crochet dresses! The pattern is perfect for summer, and both the striped and white colorways offer an option for any shopper! 

Athletic Dresses 

At the end of the day, the most comfortable way to wear a dress will always be the tennis dress. It’s casual, easy to transition throughout the day, and provides both flexibility and comfort automatically. 

Lululemon Scoop-neck Pleated Tennis Dress – $148.00

While they are expensive, no one can deny that Lululemon is the OG. Made to last and extremely comfortable, any buyer will find themselves reaching for this tennis dress on a regular basis. 

Abercrombie And Fitch Traveler Dress – $70.00

This dress not only comes in a variety of patterns and sizes, but it also comes with rave reviews! The adjustable straps and built in shorts provide a custom, comfortable fit. 

Overall, the perfect summer dress will be the one that suits your individual style and needs. The best practice is finding something you’re comfortable in and love, and sticking with it!