Which senior superlative best describes you?

Air Conditioning Issues to Be Resolved with Referendum Repairs

Photo from from Adobe stock photos.

If you’ve spent any time in LFHS’ building once the weather begins to warm up, one thing becomes particularly noticeable: the heat. 

Walking in the humid, sticky hallways and sitting in these classrooms is seemingly ingrained within an LFHS student’s experience. 

At first, one may be unphased by the issue, but it becomes bothersome fast. Attempting to concentrate while in a classroom that is hot enough to make you sweat is difficult.

“Each period of the day, the classroom is a different temperature, which makes it hard to focus,” senior Tyler Klein said.

Senior study hall teacher Mrs. Laurie Hektor agrees that the temperature of the school can be distracting. 

“I feel bad for the students because depending on where their class is, their class could be 80 degrees, and the next one will be 60 degrees,”  Hektor said. 

This specific issue is apparent throughout the year, and not only during hotter months. 

Excerpt from the LFHS website referendum page.

According to Mr. Daniel Mortensen, Head of Facilities at District 115, the HVAC (heating, ventilation and cooling) system will improve after renovations this summer. The work is part of the referendum, which passed last year. Out of the $105 million budget, nearly 20% of it will be allocated to updating the HVAC units. Approximately $20,685,000 of the budget will be used to update and restore the current system we have in place, which has some parts that date back to 1987. 

The newest HVAC renovations came in 2006, according to Mortensen, but on average the school’s HVAC system was last renovated in 1992. The old system has caused challenges for Mortensen and other members of the administration.

Mortensen said staff members adjust the temperature based on the 10-day upcoming weather forecast, which can change without warning and cause a disruption in their pre-planned cycle. 

When the new cooling and heating systems are installed, Mortensen and his staff will have significantly more control over the HVAC system. Another incoming improvement that was discussed is the noise reduction that will come with the new HVAC unit.

“The sound of the actual system will be reduced, which will provide a better environment for those in the building,” said Mortensen.

The first of three stages of construction is set to begin in June once students depart for summer vacation.