College Corner: Week Eight

Graphic courtesy of Taylor Ross.

Name: Lissy Blume

Photo courtesy of Lissy Blume.

School: Miami University

Major: Marketing

Location: Oxford, Ohio

Mascot: Redhawks

How did you first hear about Miami, and what made you apply?Both of my grandparents and mom went there. I didn’t even want to apply at the beginning of my college search, however my mom convinced me to apply at the last minute just to have the option.” 

Why Miami? I really like that I have some family history at the school and it makes me feel very close to my family. The campus and town are beautiful and walkable. It is also only an hour away from my brothers school (University of Dayton) and it isn’t hard to get to from home!”

What are you most excited about? “I’m most excited to make a bunch of new friends, get out of my comfort zone, gain some independence, and just have new experiences.”

Name: Mack Jones

Photo courtesy of Mack Jones.

School: University of Kentucky

Major: Pre-Marketing

Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Mascot: Wildcats

How did you first hear about Kentucky, and what made you apply?  “I first heard about Kentucky from my cousin who is graduating next year. She had nothing but good things to say about the school and the people who attend. I toured the school and was lucky to go to a football game as well. The atmosphere was super cool to see and it felt like the place I wanted to be for the next couple of years.”

Why Kentucky? “I chose Kentucky because it’s not far from family. My aunt and uncle live a little over an hour from Lexington so a weekend at their house isn’t too much of a hassle to do. A second reason I chose Kentucky is because Gatton, the school of business at Kentucky, is a really nice school. It looks and feels very professional but also welcoming because of all the students working it the common area. Finally, my other cousin who is graduating high school this year is going to Kentucky as well. We are planning on rooming together and I’m really excited for that.”

What are you most excited about? “I am most excited about the culture Kentucky has. The horse racing culture in Kentucky brings so many people together and I’m looking forward to going to those events with friends and family to have fun and meet some new people.”

Name: Paige Gibbons

Photo courtesy of Paige Gibbons.

School:  Boston College

Major: Biology

Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Mascot: Eagles

How did you first hear about Boston College, and what made you apply? “I first heard about BC from a senior on the Cross Country team when I was a freshman but I didn’t really research it until the fall of my junior year. I remember going to the BC visit at school and the college rep spoke about the college with so much genuine enthusiasm I couldn’t help but get excited about BC too. I applied because I was looking for a mid size school with good sports and lots of school spirit and BC checked all of those boxes.”

Why Boston College? “One thing that stood out to me at my college visit was how welcoming everyone was there. When I visited the college in person we were immediately broke up into groups to talk to current students about the school with and I was surprised that the students were just as eager to learn about me and my experiences as I was to learn about them. I appreciate BC’s CORE curriculum where I can take meaningful classes beyond my major which will not only prepare me for my future career but will provide me the skills to navigate my life outside of school. I am also going to be on the pre-med track so close access to Boston hospitals and medical schools where I can volunteer and take part in research was a huge factor in making the decision.”

What are you most excited about? “I am so excited about exploring the city of Boston, going to Eagles games, and meeting new people. Although Boston is very far away from home, I think that living there will push me to venture outside of my comfort zone!”

Name: Jack Cushing

Photo courtesy of Jack Cushing.

School: University of Colorado Boulder

Major: Business Management

Location: Boulder, Colorado

Mascot: Buffaloes

How did you first hear about Boulder, and what made you apply?  “I heard about Boulder when I went out to Colorado on vacation.”

Why Boulder? “It truly has it all, the lifestyle, the academics, and the large student life which I like.”

What are you most excited about? “I am most excited about just living in the mountains where I can ski, fish, and be outside.”

Name: Ellery Newman

Photo courtesy of Ellery Newman.

School: Texas Christian University

Major: Allied Health Sciences

Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Mascot: Horned Frogs

How did you first hear about TCU, and what made you apply?  “I heard about TCU through people at LFHS who have gone there, and everyone who has gone seems to love it, so I was very interested in learning more about the school! I applied because TCU met a lot of the requirements and hopes that I was looking for in a school, and it just seems like such a fun environment to be a part of!”

Why TCU? “TCU was my top choice college throughout this whole process, especially after I visited the campus for a weekend in the fall and fell in love with the atmosphere of the school, and I could really picture myself on the campus. TCU is the perfect size school for me, not too big but not too small, and I know that it will provide me with great opportunities after college. Also the warm weather and beautiful campus is definitely a bonus! I decided to early decision 2, which is binding, so it made my decision super easy once I was accepted!!”

What are you most excited about? “I am super excited to live in Texas and experience the south and all the fun things that living in a new place come with. I can’t wait to meet new people and I’m super excited for football games!”

Name: Ryder Gamrath

Photo courtesy of Ryder Gamrath.

School: Savannah College of Art and Design

Major: Film and Television

Location: Savannah, Georgia

Mascot: Bee

How did you first hear about SCAD, and what made you apply?  “I first heard about it a couple years ago when I visited Savannah with some family friends, one of whom visited and did some workshops every summer at SCAD. I applied because of their incredible film resources, their care for all their students, and the warm weather!”

Why SCAD? “Ultimately, it felt like the best place for me to succeed! I really liked the vibe of the campus and every student that had gone there before said that they loved every part of the school. I’m excited to challenge myself with the next steps in this career path and SCAD is the best place to help me do that.”

What are you most excited about? “I am most excited for meeting new friends and utilizing all the amazing opportunities and resources SCAD has to offer for film and television!”

View Comments (1)
$500
$800