College Corner: Week Six

Graphic courtesy of Taylor Ross.

Name: Brady Gamrath

College: University College London

Photo courtesy of Brady Gamrath.

Major: Urban Planning and Real Estate

Location: London, UK

Mascot: Phineas

How did you first hear about University College London, and what made you apply? I first heard about UCL when looking at different schools for the major I ended up applying for, as well as just looking at schools in the UK in general. Between the course and the location itself, it was one of my top choices for a long time. I went on a tour this summer and it has an amazing campus in the middle of London with some really cool opportunities.”

Why University College London? I chose UCL because of the Urban Planning & Real Estate program they have, as well as the new experience of studying in a different country. The major combines both urban planning and real estate, which is something I think is very unique. There are so many different academic and social opportunities both at UCL and around the city in general that I am thrilled to be a part of.”

What are you most excited about?I am really excited for all the new experiences that come with living in a new country. There is so much history and culture in London and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to study there. Having lived in Lake Bluff for my whole life, I think it will definitely be a change of pace, but that’s something I look forward to.”

Name: Rachel Silvers

College: Indiana University 

Photo courtesy of Rachel Silvers.

Major: Marketing

Location: Bloomington, Indiana

Mascot: Hoosier

How did you first hear about Indiana, and what made you apply? I first heard of Indiana University when my mom and I had sat down to research colleges that were somewhat local or close to our area. Also I know many alum from LFHS who attend IU that have told me how much they absolutely love it.”

Why Indiana?: “I chose IU not only because of the beautiful campus but because of the countless of opportunities and programs they have to offer. Especially since they offer many abroad programs which is something I have definitely wanted to participate in for the longest time. Bloomington is just such a great college town with so many restaurants and endless activities to try with lots of school spirit!”

What are you most excited about? I am most excited about the game days, meeting new people and just getting more acquainted with the campus.”

Name: Jacque Wilson

College: University of Utah

Major: Nursing

Photo courtesy of Jacque Wilson.

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Mascot: Swoop

How did you first hear about Utah, and what made you apply?I first heard about the U of Utah when I was searching for schools out west that had nursing programs. After learning more about the school I decided to visit, and after visiting I instantly fell in love with it.” 

Why Utah? I chose the U of Utah because I love everything about the school. It’s near some of the best ski resorts in the United States, the football team is great, there are so many clubs, and most importantly the campus is surrounded by mountains.”

What are you most excited about?I am excited to spend a lot of time in the mountains, meet new people, and go to football games!”

Name: Lucy Schlachtenhaufen

Photo courtesy of Lucy Schlachtenhaufen.

College: University of Richmond

Major: Undecided

Location: Richmond, Virginia

Mascot: Spiders

How did you first hear about Richmond, and what made you apply? “I heard about the school from my neighbor, and so while I was emailing prospective college running coaches I decided to email the Richmond coach as well. After talking to him through email and on the phone, I knew the school was even higher on my list and that it was a priority to visit.”

Why Richmond? “I chose the University of Richmond because I really loved my visit and experience with the coaches, teammates, academic and club opportunities, and how beautiful the school is.”

What are you most excited about? “I am most excited about officially meeting teammates in person and meeting new people! Also going to the city of Richmond!”‘

Name: Henry Laufenberg

Photo courtesy of Henry Laufenberg.

College: Colorado State University

Major: Marketing

Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Mascot: Cam the Ram

How did you first hear about Colorado State, and what made you apply? “I first heard about CSU from a college trip with my older sister. I remembered that I really liked an ice cream place in town and that I liked their gym. Then I went to Fort Collins and realized just how beautiful and nice the town was.”

Why Colorado State? “I’m committed to CSU because of the campus and the people/culture. I’m a very social person and I found these things very important to me whilst searching.”

What are you most excited about? “I am excited to experience the people and culture on campus and live in a beautiful town.”

Name: Ian Pogany

College: Purdue University

Photo courtesy of Ian Pogany.

Major: Integrated Business & Engineering

Location: West Lafayette, Indiana

Mascot: Boilermaker

How did you first hear about Purdue, and what made you apply? “I first heard about Purdue through friends and family. About a year ago, I visited Purdue and could see myself spending the next four years there. While this was a big reason why I applied, I learned over the summer about a unique program called Integrated Business and Engineering (IBE). I became fascinated with this major, and this motivated me to apply.”

Why Purdue? “There are several reasons why I chose Purdue, but to make things short I’ll list three. Firstly, getting accepted into IBE was an opportunity too great to pass up; it is a brand new program at Purdue and it serves as a stepping stone to what I wish to pursue upon graduation. Secondly, it is a big school; which means that there will be lots of opportunities to have fun, take challenges, grow as a person, and secure my future. Lastly, it is close; Purdue is approximately a 2 1/2 hour drive from Lake Forest and with my sister being a student at IU, I will be relatively close to everyone in my immediate family.”

What are you most excited about? “I am most excited about all the opportunities that will be open for me to explore. I plan on rushing my Freshman year to find a supportive community that will be with me during the four years I’m there. I’m also working on an application to The Larsons Leaders Academy; a learning community that will help me grow as a leader and assist me as I transition to my professional life.”