LFHS Students Set to Make an Impact for Radical Generosity Chicago

Be sure to donate shelf-stable foods in your English class!
Radical Generosity Chicago’s Logo. (Photo Courtesy of radicalgenerositychicago.org)

This year, Student Council is partnering with Radical Generosity Chicago, a 501(c)(3) organization. This is the first time ever LFHS is partnering with RGC, but many do not know that the organization connects so closely with our community. 

In particular, junior Quinn Brown and sophomore Emmie Brown have a very tight connection with RGC since their aunt, Dr. Kerry Brown Hasbrook (LFHS class of 1988) started the organization and their other aunt, Mandy Brown Breaker (LFHS class of 1993) has helped the organization grow to 17,000+ volunteers overall. 

“Our goals are to increase awareness about RGC within the LFHS community and hopefully get more students involved and help change the lives of less fortunate and unsheltered people within the Chicago area. I am looking forward to Student Council working on the upcoming food drive with RGC,” said Brown. 

The overall Student Council Advisor, Mrs. Konz, and Mrs. Crouch, the Junior Student Council Advisor, have also been longtime friends with Mandy Brown Breaker and knew her sister Kerry Brown Hasbrook. 

As an organization that is so closely connected with our community, Student Council is looking to connect our student body with Radical Generosity Chicago to provide more people in the Chicagoland area with essential items. 

From February 26th – March 16th all English classes are encouraged to participate in the shelf-stable food drive! Shelf-stable food includes canned food, boxed food such as mac and cheese, and containers like peanut butter. 

The donation of boxed foods. (Courtesy of @radicalgenerositychicago on Instagram).

It’s a competition between English classes because  the majority of students at LFHS are currently taking an English class. The English teacher that wins is awarded doughnuts for all of their classes. 

“I’m excited for our student body to experience the act of bringing things in and the act of competition and I think we can do really amazing things as a student body,” said Konz. 

To learn more about Radical Generosity just visit radicalgenerositychicago.org or follow the Instagram account (@radicalgenerositychicago) for more information about upcoming events and how to get involved with this awesome charity!