Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Debate Team Takes on Washington D.C.

Photo courtesy of @LFHSdebate instagram.

Two weeks ago, nine Debate Team members traveled all the way to our nation’s capital for the highly competitive and anticipated Junior State of America Winter Congress. 

Junior State of America is a national debate organization focused on fostering students’ leadership skills and civic engagement. They do this through hosting debate conferences around the country, and by acting as a primarily student run organization. 

Most exciting, this was the first year the LFHS chapter of the organization has attended since before Covid. In attendance were nine Debate Team members, including Avery Morris and Ana Dollard, the team presidents, Kosta Kapsalis, our JSA Chapter president, Nicholas Pizzo, Alejandro Leahy, Adi Jacobs, Sarah Mulani, Mirabelle Duboeuf, and Jillian Duer.

Winter Congress was organized and hosted by three JSA regions: Midwest, North Eastern and Southern California. The activities consisted of traditional debates around bills and ideas submitted by students thought talks, speaker blocks, and fun activities like karaoke and the highly anticipated JSA dance. 

The group arrived early in the morning on February 8th, a day before the conference started, in order to go on some sightseeing activities around Washington D.C.

“My favorite part of the trip was being able to see the highlights of D.C. with a small enough group that we could really experience the full breadth of every location. I especially loved the National Archives and Library of Congress,” said junior  Nicholas Pizzo, who co-wrote a bill on the Falkland Islands in preparation for the conference. 

Photo courtesy of @LFHSdebate Instagram.

The group was fortunate enough to have ample time to explore many iconic sites in D.C., including the Washington Monument, National Archives Museum, National Museum of American History, and got to meet with Illinois senator Tammy Duckworth. 

“I wanted to experience the city and see the JSA people I only know from video call in person,” said sophomore and Deputy Director of Debate for the Midwest Alejandro Leahy. 

Throughout the days of debate, students were also given opportunities to connect with students from both LFHS’ own chapter and from around the nation, all while learning about and tackling divisive political issues. 

“It was nice because although a lot of the team are some of my closest friends, I had never really had a chance to converse deeply with a lot of them. I love everyone on the team so much and I’m so grateful I got to strengthen my bonds with them on the trip. There were so many jokes, sweet moments, and just overall closeness that I got to feel with everyone and I couldn’t have asked for better people to spend four days with,” said LFHS Debate President and JSA Midwest Expansion Director Ana Dollard. 

At the end of the weekend, students Avery Morris, Nicholas Pizzo and Alejandro Leahy won Best Speaker awards, cementing the trip as one to remember. 

“I think that we’re very lucky to have these kinds of opportunities at our school, and I’m so grateful I got to experience this trip with my favorite people. It’s really cliche but debate feels more like home than it ever has after D.C.,” states Dollard. 

A special thank you to Mr. Wanninger and Mrs. Dreiling, who made the trip both possible and incredibly special for everyone who participated.