The varsity team before a home game. Photo courtesy of Luke Cheng.

Varsity Boys Basketball Playoff Preview

At the end of an exciting regular season, the Boys Basketball Team finished with a 22-7 overall and 12-2 conference record. Their record allowed them to clinch a share of the North Suburban Conference title alongside Warren Township. 

The Scouts saw the majority of their production through seniors Tommie Aberle and Bolurin Taiwo, as well as from junior Hudson Scroggins. The three players all earned a spot on the North Suburban Conference All-Conference Team, with Aberle earning the NSC Player of the Year Award.

Two big wins in close games against Warren and Lake Zurich allowed the Scouts to earn a share of the title, their second in three years. 

Players on the team have credited the team’s success to their chemistry and teamwork. 

I think what’s made our team successful is how unselfish we are and our chemistry,” Aberle said. 

As a result of their successful season, the Scouts earned a two seed in the 3A St. Viator Sectional. The one seed has been given to Depaul College Prep, who finished with a record of 28-2.  

Last season, the Scouts won three playoff games and reached the Grayslake Central Sectional Championship. In the sectional championship game, the Scouts fell to Grayslake Central 46-43. 

The Scouts look to have another successful playoff run in 2024 by continuing what has allowed them to have such a strong regular season.  

“We’ve been getting better over the year by pushing each other in practice, we need to continue to do that for the next few weeks,” junior Hudsons Scroggins said. 

Head Basketball Coach Phil LaScala said that in the playoffs the team wants to “take one game at a time,” and “play our best basketball.” 

He also shared various aspects that made them successful during the regular season and what will give them an advantage in the playoffs. 

“What made the team successful was the senior leadership and having great experience with our guards. The emergence of Hudson Scroggins as well,” said LaScala. 

Players on the team are also excited to make a playoff run. They believe that they need to continue their habits in order to have success in the playoffs. 

We are approaching the playoffs as if we have not won a game this season. We are not underestimating any opponent and trying to stay as focused as we were during the regular season,” Taiwo said. 

Looking ahead, their first playoff game is Wednesday at 6pm at North Chicago High School against (15) Northside College Prep. 

With a win in their first game against Northside, the Scouts would play against the winner of (7) St. Viator and (10) Vernon Hills at North Chicago High School at 7pm on Friday.