Seth Digby: Writing His Final Chapter as a LFHS Wrestling Legend

Seth Digby before a wrestling match this season. Photo courtesy of Colin Peters.

For the first time in ten years,  a Scout wrestler won a Sectional Championship. LFHS senior Seth Digby was the wrestler who earned this distinction. After a clean sweep of winning Conference, Regionals, and Sectionals, the State Tournament is the last time he will be wrestling for the Scouts. 

For the third year in a row, Digby is making his return to IHSA State Tournament in hopes of clinching the state title for the last year career competing for LFHS.

This year, Digby has had an undefeated season and is currently ranked 8th overall in the state. 

Digby’s winning record comes from hours of hard work during the offseason. During preseason, Digby competes in numerous tournaments and trains seven days, most times twice a day, to perform his best.

“The harder I train and the more I train, the more confidence I have going into big matches. If I know that I put in as much work as possible then I know that there is no reason for me to stress as I’ve done everything in my control to put me in the best possible position to win the match,” said Digby. 

Even during the season, on top of his training for the school, he is constantly looking for extra time where he can perfect his skills, where he can continue to work to be the best wrestler and athlete he can be. His grit and determination is unmatched. 

“Seth is always practicing, trying to be the absolute best he can be,” said close friend Andrew March. “He spends hours on the weekends just grinding away, making those sacrifices to become a better athlete.”

However, even as a top performing wrestler, Digby is also a role model for his teammates. Being a four-year varsity wrestler, Digby has had a massive, lasting impact on his team over the years. 

“Seth always leads by example, he and his work ethic always motivate us to do our best,” said sophomore Luka Tupanjac. “He is always pushing us to be the best versions, which is something that I really value about having him as a leader.”

Although Digby’s work ethic is unparalleled, he humbly attributes much of his success to the support of his coaches and teammates. 

“The support of my coaches, Coach Kramer, Coach Norman, and Coach DeYoung, has been an amazing support system for me,” said Digby.  “I’ve drilled this entire season with coach DeYoung which I am very grateful for as it is difficult for an ex-college wrestler to basically wrestle another entire high school season. He is always there to help me, whether it’s before school or after the film.”

As Digby embarks on his final journey at the state tournament, his legacy of determination, sacrifice, and leadership shines brightly. 

He is extremely driven and really wants to wrestle at the next level in college.  He is an all around great kid and always treats people with respect.  A great addition to any team,” said former coach Mr. Matt Fiordirosa.

While his individual success speaks volumes, it is his impact on his teammates and the LFHS wrestling community that truly sets him apart.