Amelia Kavanagh (left), Ally Lucania (right)
Photo Courtesy of Ally Lucania
Amelia Kavanagh (left), Ally Lucania (right) Photo Courtesy of Ally Lucania

Varsity Cheer Captains Ally Lucania and Amelia Kavanagh Receive All-State Award

All-State Winners in the Medium Division
Photo Courtesy of Ally Lucania

On February 2nd, the varsity cheerleading team competed at the IHSA cheerleading state finals competition for the 3rd consecutive year. At the competition, two junior captains – Ally Lucania and Amelia Kavanagh – received awards that showcased their hard work as cheerleaders on their team, recognized their commitment to their sport, and acknowledged the complexity of their skill level. This award is called the “All State” award. 

Nominated by their coaches, Kavanagh and Lucania were chosen by members of the IHSCCO Board of Directors to be a part of the elite team of 16 athletes in the medium division. 

Not only are these two cheerleaders committed to their sport and show a high skill level, but they are highly motivated teammates and captains who only want the best for their team. 

Lucania, being one of the captains for two years in a row, shows her determination to lead the team in the best way possible, being a captain as a sophomore and junior. Lucania and Kavanagh made the varsity team as freshmen and have been committed to doing their best since.  

Lucania Receving The All-State Award
Photo Courtesy of Ally Lucania

Head Cheerleading Coach Debbie Vargas says Lucania “sets the standard” for being committed to her team.

“Her passion for cheer shines through in everything she does, from supporting her teammates to achieve their goals, to the remarkable work ethic she brings to practice daily,” Vargas said. “It’s amazing to see the skills she brings to the mat and how effortless she makes everything look, especially when we know she’s spent hundreds of hours working to master those elite skills. This is her second year in a row as an All State Athlete.”

Vargas says Kavanagh “consistently pushes herself to the limit” in all aspects of cheer as a captain and a teammate.

“She never stops, she just continues to go above and beyond for the good of her team. Whether it’s doing twice as many reps to fill in for an injured teammate or doing 5 elite tumbling passes in a three-minute routine, coaches always know we can count on her to do it,” Vargas said. “Amelia is always hyping up her teammates and pushing them to achieve their goals. She does a great job connecting with her teammates and motivating them to push through no matter what.”

Not only are these athletes recognized by their coaches for their hard work, but their teammates/co-captains also appreciate their leadership and work ethic.

Kavanah Receving The All-State Award
Photo Courtesy of Ally Lucania

Junior captain Brooke Kaiser says Lucania and Kavanagh are some of the “hardest working” on the team.

“They really do give their best effort and they set really good examples for the team to follow,” Kaiser said.

“I think both Amelia and Ally deserved this award so much because they both work hard for everything they have, and their skills are beyond amazing. They are great leaders to our team and great co-captains,” junior captain McKenzy Hoopis said. “They are the most deserving of this award after all they have put into cheer these past couple of years, and for their work ethic and amazing skills.” 

$500
$800