Get Paid to Learn

Graphic courtesy of Patrick Kolcan.

You, yes you.

Go fill out scholarship applications.

Come junior year, students are already worried about their major and what college they’re going to end up at. But what isn’t often talked about is the extreme cost of attending a university.

But this doesn’t have to be the case. 

With a wide range of scholarships, both local and national, students can earn “free money” to put towards their college education, easing the struggle of payment. All you have to do is fill out a form.

When I was applying to my schools, I didn’t know where to start with scholarships. Turns out it was as simple as a quick Google search. 

Here are some sources which might be of use to readers looking for scholarship opportunities:

For students who don’t want to put in that much time, here’s a list of no-essay scholarships:

No Effort:

A Bit of Effort:

When filling out a scholarship application, the only thing you offer up is your time, and that could be in in exchange for hundreds to thousands of dollars. 

While there are scholarships which have financial, ethnic, or GPA requirements, a vast amount are open to anyone.

If you’re still stumped on where to look for scholarships, or looking for more, the Federal Student Aid website recommends searching through the following means:

• Foundations, religious or community organizations, local businesses, or civic groups
  • Organizations (including professional associations) related to your field of interest
  • Ethnicity-based organizations
  • Your employer or your parents’ employers

If you’re planning on applying to college in the coming years, my biggest advice is to start early.