LFHS Students Drawn to SEC Schools

Photo Courtesy of Printerval.
Photo Courtesy of Printerval.

Many juniors and seniors at LFHS are beginning their search for college and where they would like to spend the next four years of their lives. Choosing between cold and warm weather, big and small schools, and even a close or far location plays a significant role in one’s decision. 

There are thousands of amazing colleges in the country, however, many students are showing a peaking interest in southern schools. Several popular colleges in the South are a part of the SEC (Southeastern Conference) that many people have been very drawn to over the years. But the real question that everyone is asking is: What is all of the hype and insurgence over these SEC schools? 

Photo Courtesy of Lily Pedian.

Lily Pedian, LFHS graduate and freshman at the University of Alabama says, “I love the SEC because the football games are like nothing I have ever experienced before.” She explains that she has “always loved the football games in high school” so that is why she is “so happy” to have chosen a school with a huge football program.

The SEC consists of 16 other football teams and each game played during the season is full of energy from the students and fans. According to Pedian, the average attendance at these games can range from up to 100,000 people!

Another alumni and freshman at the University of Mississippi, Elliot McKinney shares her love for the spirit and pride during game days.

“The school spirit and excitement around game days is unlike anything I had seen before,” said McKinney. “The football conference and school spirit is hard not to love.”

In addition to the big football programs and game days, the constant warm weather seems to grab attention. 

Senior Teddy Huddlestun has also found himself attracted to the warmer climate and southern schools when applying to colleges, “I wanted to get out of the weather in the Midwest,” said Huddlestun. “I know a ton of people who go to SEC schools and it’s a common theme that it’s ‘the place to be.”

Senior Lissy Blume shares her admiration for the SEC community, “I love the thought of a classic ‘southern pride’ school. I think it makes a great college town and community,” said Blume. “I think a big part of the community is the history and the people that have poured their heart and soul into loving these schools.” 

Photo Courtesy of Elliot McKinney.

The outstanding school spirit and beautiful weather in the South is clearly very intriguing to the Lake Forest community. The popularity of the SEC just keeps continuing to grow as years go by and it is now extremely obvious why!

Although, it is not just the nice weather and big football games that is attracting many students, it’s the “community” all of these schools have that everyone gets to be a part of. Everyone comes together to support their school and enjoy their college experience as a whole. This is what SEC schools are all about!