College Corner: Week Two

Graphic courtesy of Taylor Ross.

College Corner is back, this time for the class of 2024! Every week, The Forest Scout interviews six seniors on where they are going to college next year, what factors impacted their decision, and what they are looking forward to in the next chapter!

Name: Addison Schwan

College: Fordham University

Major: Political Science

Photo courtesy of Addison Schwan

Location: Bronx, New York

Mascot: Rams

How did you first hear about Fordham, and what made you apply? “I first discovered Fordham when I was looking up where my favorite artist, Lana Del Rey, went to college. Upon further investigation, I was met with qualities of a dream school- a beautiful campus, a unique location, and perfect programs for my major.”

Why Fordham? “I applied early decision for Fordham University after touring the campus and finally being able to picture myself there, unlike visits to other schools. The city surrounding the campus is so vibrant and lovely and I have always wanted an excuse to spend some time in New York. The school also has a London campus which I look forward to spending time at someday.”

What are you most excited about? I’m most looking forward to being in a new place and exploring the city I get to call home for the next 4 years. After my tour of the college I explored the city and it was nothing like I had ever seen before, and that’s exactly what I was looking for in a school.”

Name: Jack Quick

Photo courtesy of Jack Quick

College: Denison University

Major: Journalism

Location: Granville, Ohio

Mascot: Big Red Buzzard 

How did you first hear about Denison, and what made you apply? “I had a college counselor recommend it to me, after doing some research about the school, I went to visit. After my first visit I realized that I could see myself at Denison, but was still apprehensive, since there had been so many schools I hadn’t seen yet and wanted to give each one a shot. About a year later, I went back to visit again and meet with former Lake Forest High School alumni Micheal Cassidy. Once I left the campus that day, it was practically a done deal.”

Why Denison? “Size was definitely a factor that played into my decision. Personally, I need a connection with the professor that is not just a number in a lecture hall. Contribution in class really helps me to learn better. Location was another factor that came into play. Even though the campus is located in the middle of nowhere Ohio, it’s very hard to tell, the large hill that the campus and town sit on top of makes it look like it’s straight out of the movie, Goonies. Finally, Denison recently just revamped their journalism program and renovated their facilities a ton. Hiring new professors, and investing in new equipment for broadcasting.” 

What are you most excited about? “I am most excited to be able to learn more about the things I am genuinely interested in. Journalism and Writing in general have always been a passion of mine and I am really looking forward to being able to expand on that passion, and turn something that I previously looked at as a hobby into something that will be a part of my career.”

Photo courtesy of Annie Davis

Name: Annie Davis

College: Clemson University

Major: Special Education 

Mascot: Tiger 

Location: Clemson, South Carolina 

How did you first hear about Clemson, and what made you apply? “I first heard about Clemson from my aunt because she went there. I also knew about it from my grandparents because they live near it. I applied to Clemson because when I visited the campus I instantly fell in love with it, and I knew it was where I wanted to go.”

Why Clemson? I chose Clemson because it seemed like the right fit for me in every way. The campus is absolutely beautiful, the size is perfect, and there are fun sporting events I can go to if I want to. I also went to summer camp near Clemson when I was a little kid, so I’m already familiar with the area which was another big pull for me.” 

What are you most excited about? “I’m most excited to meet new people, attend football games, and live in a warm area for once.”

Name: Claire Gerber

Photo courtesy of Claire Gerber

College: University of Miami

Location: Miami, Florida 

Major: Criminology or Marketing major with a minor in Psychology

Mascot: Sebastian the Ibis 

How did you first hear about UMiami, and what made you apply? I first heard about the University of Miami when I was looking at schools in Florida. I applied after I visited it over the summer and fell in love with the university.”

Why UMiami? I love everything about the school including it’s beautiful location, great academics and extracurriculars, and medium undergraduate size.” 

What are you most excited about? “I am most excited to meet new people.”

Name: Charlie Gish

Photo courtesy of Charlie Gish

College: Brown University

Major: Finance

Location: Providence, Rhode Island

Mascot: Bears

How did you first hear about Brown, and what made you apply? “I first heard about Brown from the sailing team. I applied because of this thing they have called the Open Curriculum, and also I really wanted to be apart of the sailing team.”

Why Brown? “The Open Curriculum and I’m super excited to be on the east coast and to sail.”

What are you most excited about? I’m excited to meet so many new people and just vibe.”

Name: Hanna Sands

College: Tufts University

Photo courtesy of Hanna Sands

Major: Chemical Engineering

Location: Medford, Massachusetts 

Mascot: Jumbo The Elephant  

How did you first hear about Tufts, and what made you apply? I heard about Tufts because my parents met there. I applied because of their engineering program and access to art classes at SFMA, but also because of the size of the school.”

Why Tufts? “Tufts fits everything I want to pursue academically, which was the most important thing to me. I grew up visiting family in Massachusetts and Maine and have always seen myself going to college in the Northeast. When I visited Tufts I loved the campus and knew it was where I wanted to be because it has the benefits of Boston being right next door while still having a campus feel. Besides that, I signed a form that said I had to go if I got in.”

What are you most excited about? “I’m excited to learn a lot of new stuff, join cool clubs, meet people, and maybe walk through the hall I was named after.”