Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Life of a Student Supervisor: Mr. Martin Pacheco

Alana Tennett
Martin wearing the 2024 Black Lyric shirt.

Everyone who is a student at LFHS knows Student Supervisor Martin Pacheco. Whether they are checking into study hall for the day or receiving a pink slip, Martin is the one doing the work. Martin is very involved with the dance team, and he would love to be involved in many other sports teams at the school if the students reached out.

When did you become involved in high school? 

“I started working at the high school back in 2014. When I started working, I started in the kitchen, doing things like the dishes and mopping. I did grounds work as well. This included things like cleaning of sorts around the school.”

How and when did your relationship with the Lake Forest Dance Team begin?

“In 2016, the girls were very vocal and outgoing… I would be working around the school doing things like pink slips and the girls would call out my name. The girls also enjoyed asking questions and wanted to get to know me. In 2016, the captains, Meg Nemickas, Sarah Kutemeyer, and Grace Glyman invited me to shoot the puck for the first time with them at a local event called “Pucks and Poms.” This was my first major experience being involved with the team.”

Martin playing shoot the puck at Pucks in Poms in 2016. Photo courtesy of Martin Pacheco

How many years have you been given the black lyric shirt? (The shirt is made by the Varsity Dance Team and it includes a lyric from their pom mix)

“In 2017 the girls asked me to wear the shirt. Since then, I have received one for the past eight years as of 2024. It is now something that I wear the day before the girls have a competition. I even wear the shirt when I attend conference to support the team.”

What does receiving the shirt mean to you and why are you such a big supporter of the dance team?

“Receiving the shirt means a lot because it shows that people appreciate me. It has always been an honor to be given the shirt. The team has always supported me over the years, and it’s fun to say hi and come to the competitions, it makes me feel a part of the culture of the school.” 

Martin with the Lake Forest Dance Team at Sectionals 2023

What do you like to do in your free time?

“After I work, I go home and try to do some workouts. I also play video games and try to get in some reading. It sounds boring, but that’s what I like to do.”