College Corner: Week One

Graphic courtesy of Taylor Ross.

College Corner is back, this time for the class of 2024! Every week, The Forest Scout interviews six seniors on where they are going to college next year, what factors impacted their decision, and what they are looking forward to in the next chapter!

Name: Elis Miller 

College: Boston College

Major: Neuroscience

Location: Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 

Mascot: The Eagles

How did you first hear about Boston College, and what made you apply? I first heard about Boston College through other students at LFHS. My dad and college counselor also had good things to say during my college search process and both recommended the school. What made me apply was the Tier 1 research at BC, the location being so close to a big hub, and the generally good feedback I have heard about the school, especially in the area of my intended major.”

Why Boston College? “I chose BC because the school is a great fit for me, and I could really see myself being successful there. For example, the school has really good research for medical (and all) majors, the location is amazing for jobs and nights out in the city, and it is mid-sized and has spirited D1 athletics. Adding on, the school offers opportunities to explore personal faith through service, which is one of the values I admired from the Jesuit foundation. Another unique aspect that caught my attention is there is no Greek life so there is more socializing through clubs of your choice compared to sororities and fraternities. When I visited the school, every student seemed so down to earth, welcoming, and overall very friendly. All of this combined with their great academics put this school at the top of my list for sure!”

What are you most excited about? “I am most excited about exploring my areas of interest with more depth, continuing research experiences, meeting new people, joining some fun clubs, immersing myself in the school community and social life, and exploring who I am and what I want to do with my life!”

Name: Bolurin Taiwo

College: University of Pennsylvania

Major: Finance and Entrepreneurship and Innovation

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Mascot: Quaker

How did you first hear about UPenn, and what made you apply? My brother went to the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania and I wanted to apply because they have the best program for my major and they have an amazing alumni network.”

Why UPenn? “I only applied to one school but I wanted to apply to it because it is a good school.”

What are you most excited about? “Being in Philly, the Philly Cheesesteaks, great professors, great student body, and the great education.”

Name: Ashton Peterson

College: Tulane University 

Major: Architecture

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

Mascot: Green Wave

How did you first hear about Tulane, and what made you apply? I first heard about Tulane from my mom because that’s where she went to school.”

Why Tulane? “I chose Tulane because I love the culture surrounding the city. Mardis Gras is the most popular event in New Orleans, and the food is amazing and I love walking on the streets and hearing jazz players around the corner.”

What are you most excited about? “I am definitely most excited about furthering my Architecture education, but I’m also really excited about the crawfish boil on campus and getting to meet new people.”

Name: Courtney Fitzgerald

College: Northwestern University

Major: Environmental Policy

Location: Evanston, Illinois

Mascot: The Wildcats

How did you first hear about Northwestern, and what made you apply? With Northwestern being just down the street from us, I felt it was just a given to go check it out. That was when I fell in love with the school. Academically, the school had everything I needed to pursue my passion in the future but also the vibrance of campus life allowed me to fully take in how great this school is.”

Why Northwestern? After tours and taking random trips down to Evanston with family and friends, I knew that this was the school for me. Northwestern’s ability to offer everything I looked for in a college was a huge reason why it was top of my list.  The location, while it’s close to home, offers numerous opportunities within Evanston and the quick trip down to Chicago; the diverse dynamics of the school also offer unique experiences within itself. Northwestern has almost every major, club, and extracurricular possible which ensured me that I would be able to find my place in such a large school.”

What are you most excited about? “I’m super excited to see everything their Undergraduate Research Program has to offer and to meet new people!”

Name: Andrew Rourke

College: Wake Forest University 

Major: Currently undecided, but intended Finance major

Location: Winston Salem, North Carolina

Mascot: Demon Deacons

How did you first hear about Wake Forest, and what made you apply? “I just started visiting a bunch of schools I heard people liked, and when I visited Wake the campus just felt like home.”

Why Wake Forest? “I chose Wake Forest because I love the heat, the south, and I wanted a small school that had a tight knit community but was still well-known.”

What are you most excited about? “I’m most excited for the nice weather and the good sports.”

Name: Clare Crawford

School : Northeastern University 

Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Major: Music Industry and Communications

Mascot: Husky 

How did you first hear about Northeastern, and what made you apply? I was doing research on schools in Boston, because I was interested in BU. When we went to visit I saw BC, BU, and Northeastern. I immediately fell in love with Northeastern and knew it was my top choice. After hearing about their co-op program, I started to think about how the opportunity could impact my future career. I realized that the opportunities were endless, and I could pursue my dream career with amazing experiences at this school.”

Why Northeastern? “I love the programs they offer and the way one’s education is truly catered to what students want. I also really enjoy the campus. It is secluded, yet right in the heart of Boston. It is next to the train, Fenway Park, and it is a very walkable city which is great for college students. Boston is such a great city. It is very dynamic and full of interesting history.”

What are you most excited about? I am most excited for the co-op program as the internships offered for my major are incredible! I was also admitted into the NU.In program, which means my first semester will be studying abroad with other students. I am excited to explore wherever I go and further my cultural knowledge.”