Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Steve Aronson: From Silicon Valley to Lake Forest

Aronson with some of his students. Photo courtesy of Steve Aronson

It all started in an eighth-grade computer programming class. Back then, the world of coding was vastly different from what we know today. Computers were anything but mainstream, and Steve Aronson, a computer science teacher at Lake Forest High School, was one of the earliest programmers who learned to code on punch cards.

Aronson’s early interest in computers led him to pursue his education at Stanford University, where he majored in mathematical and computational sciences. Upon completing his education, Aronson ventured into the chaotic world of start-ups. Working in the heart of Silicon Valley, the start of the digital age was “overwhelming” yet exciting for Aronson. 

“There were all of these new start-ups popping up; you didn’t know what was going to turn into what,” Aronson said. 

He then went on to work at Delfin Systems, a company where he would spend around six years working in California; he was involved in extensive information analysis, often requiring top-secret clearance for the U.S. Department of Defense. 

Even though their work was top-secret – requiring employees to pass a lie detector test – his experiences at Delfin were extraordinary, featuring eccentric colleagues.

“One time, we were in this meeting and this scary ex-military guy just casually decided to bring in a live chainsaw to the meeting,” Aronson said. “I still don’t know why he brought it and I probably will never know.”

During this time, Aronson not only learned Hapkido but also found himself on the receiving end of an unfortunate uppercut that chipped his tooth. He and his colleagues would have rubber band wars at their desks mid-workday, and Friday evenings were dedicated to watching scary movies.

During this time, he lived in a warehouse with his friends working in Silicon Valley. One of his engineering friends built them a shower, all so they could listen to the Smiths as loudly as they pleased. 

“The warehouse was right next to a cement mixer company, and every morning you could hear the machines getting to work at 8 a.m.” Aronson said.

Aronson dabbled in various projects, from neural network apps to compression apps. For Aronson, he “didn’t care about the money.” He coded because it was what he enjoyed doing.

Aronson originally wanted to receive his Ph.D., so he applied to the University of Pennsylvania, got in, and ultimately decided that was not what he wanted to do. He always loved the idea of being a teacher, but he also loved coding, so he decided to move back home and become a computer science teacher.

Mr.Aronson with his family.
Photo courtesy of Steve Aronson

“Teaching has by far been my favorite job,” Aronson said. “I love it when students come back. They get a C in the class, then they come back, and they are professional programmers. I love hearing that they stuck with it.” 

Aronson’s passion for teaching is prevalent in his students. Former student Maddie Van Nuys says that it is evident that “he loves what he does.”

“You can tell he really cares about his students and genuinely enjoys teaching them about computer science,” said Van Nuys.

The walls of Aronson’s room are covered in memes, some put up by students and some by himself. 

“He has a great sense of humor and is so funny. He always made computer science more engaging,” said senior Reagan Collins.