Who is winning the Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake beef?

A Cut Above: New Plasma Cutter Granted

Teachers in training on the enclosed plasma cutter. (Courtesy of Melissa Doucette)

LFHS is ready to take on next-level design after becoming one of just three schools in the country to acquire a fully enclosed plasma cutter.

The Lake Forest High School Foundation awarded 12 grants to different departments, clubs, and faculty last spring.  Jen Thomas, Bill Strommel, Corey Holmer, and The Arts & Applied Technology Departments were granted an industry-grade Forest Scientific CRP 24 x 18 Clean Room Plasma Cutting System. 

A plasma cutter is a high-tech cutting machine used in all kinds of fabrication, particularly metal fabrication. For designers and artists, the machine can be used to cut anything from a tiny earring to a large sculpture.  

“In Crafts & Design, I’ve been trying to update the curriculum and incorporate a metals unit. An enclosed plasma cutter will allow us to cut out intricate shapes in minutes instead of days of sawing,” said Thomas.  

The plasma cutter can also be used to fabricate custom metal brackets that the woodworking class would otherwise have to purchase.   

This will also allow the robotics team to make a better functioning robot,” said Robotics Team Coach Matthew Wilen. 

Furthermore, the plasma cutter has extensive potential application in the theater. Custom creation of set designs and added functionality are now available at the touch of a button.

The plasma cutter in action. (Courtesy of Jen Thomas)

With nearly unlimited uses of the machine, safety is a pressing concern. Before anyone can use the machine, they must be fully trained on its operation. On Sept. 8, 11 faculty and staff members attended an 8-hour training. The training included learning about the ventilation system that prevents harmful fumes from entering the classroom and the multiple emergency stops that are built into the machine. 

With the initial training complete, the team, led by Mrs. Thomas, is learning all the intricacies of the machine. Mrs. Thomas envisions that her students will be using it by the end of this semester or early next semester.

“I’m still learning all of the things it is capable of doing. It’s like any new medium, you have to play with it a little bit to know how to use it. It’s going to open up so many possibilities that we couldn’t have dreamed of doing before,” said Mrs. Thomas.

Other clubs and classes have access to it now, as long as they work in conjunction with a trained faculty member.

Any student who may be considering a career in engineering would definitely benefit from using the enclosed plasma cutter since it is a tool of industry.  

Access to industry-grade equipment gives students a wonderful opportunity to bring their ideas to life. 

Thomas expressed her gratitude to the Foundation for their generous support and for providing LFHS with the plasma cutter.

The Foundation is currently in the process of seeking grant requests. All grant requests are due by Jan. 26 at 5 p.m. Teachers, faculty, departments, students, and clubs are all encouraged to file grant requests.