What Does it take to be a National Merit Semi-Finalist?

Six Scouts know the answer to that question
LFHS’s six 2023 National Merit Semi-Finalists. Back Row: Connor Kofelda, Charles Baksht. Front Row: Austin Okada, Alexa Richer, Ashwin Joshi and Sadie Strong. Photo Courtesy of Dr. Lenart

Can you imagine your PSAT score being in the top one percent of your state? Well, at LFHS there are currently six students who are at this level and are all being considered for the National Merit Scholarship. 

The remarkable students who achieved this honor are seniors Alexa Richer, Austin Okada, Ashwin Joshi, Charles Baksht, Connor Koefelda, and Sadie Strong. 

This Scholarship, which began in 1955, is an academic competition for not only college scholarships but outstanding recognition.  In order to be eligible for this scholarship an individual’s PSAT score has to be in the top 1% of their state out of 1.5 million other students. Every Junior is considered for the scholarship when they take the October PSAT during their junior year. 

The National Merit Semi Finalist (NMSF) designation is, without a doubt, a mark of excellence. With only a select few students achieving this status each year, competition is fierce, making the honor all the more prestigious. It’s a recognition that signifies not only academic prowess but also dedication and hard work.

According to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) once you’re recognized as a NMSF, you’ll receive a Letter of Commendation from the NMSC through your high school. Being a Semifinalist is an honor in itself and signifies outstanding academic achievement. 

This remarkable achievement came as a pleasant shock to Senior and National Merit Semi-Finalist, Alexa Richer, who had almost forgotten about taking the PSAT, the stepping stone to this recognition.

“I was mostly surprised,” said Richer. “I wasn’t expecting to receive this award, and I actually had pretty much forgotten about taking the PSAT altogether, so I was pretty shocked when I received it.”

Many of our NMFS have learned the importance of having a balance within their lives. With a full plate of academic coursework and a diverse lineup of extracurricular activities, it’s clear that they have their hands full.

While academics and extracurriculars are undeniably important to Richer, she emphasizes that personal well-being takes precedence. “I really value academics, and I do whatever I need to maintain good grades and participate in various extracurriculars,” Said Richer, “But having a good work-life balance is also something that’s very important to me, so I tend to put my life first and my schoolwork later.”

The road to becoming an National Merit Finalist, doesn’t end with the test. After receiving the unofficial notification, students must navigate the application process to becoming a finalist. This involves filling out a series of forms, submitting transcripts, and meeting criteria set by the NMSC. 

Probably the most difficult part of it for me is that you can only list 6 extracurriculars, so I’m having a bit of a difficult time figuring out what I want to put in and what I want to leave out,” said Richer. 

According to an article from the University of Southern Florida admission blog, “About 3.8 million high school students vie for admission to the National Merit Scholarship Program. Roughly 1.5 million qualify. About 50,000 advance to Commended Student and Semifinalist status. About 15,000 advance to Finalist. About 7,500 are named Merit Scholars.” 

Along with the bragging rights of being a Merit Scholar, the recipients share awards valued at $39 million (As of 2022), ranging from $2,500 National Merit Scholarships to corporate and college-sponsored scholarships.

For those who achieve NMSF status, like senior Charles Baksht, the journey is far from over. This distinction opens doors to a world of possibilities, particularly when it comes to higher education. Many have their sights set on prestgius institutions, known for their academic rigor. 

These six undeniably talented students continue to impress us by sharing their future aspirations, many of them being the same thing: An education at one of the top universities in the country.

The National Merit Scholarship Program is not just an academic achievement; it’s a beacon of excellence that illuminates the path to higher education for countless talented students. 

NMSF status represents an opportunity to achieve one’s academic dreams and contribute to a brighter, more educated future and these six students have worked hard throughout their high school careers to receive that opportunity. 

With their near perfect scores, rigorous class loads, and handful of extra-curriculars, there is no doubt that these six students are ready for that next step.