Mr. Matt Wilen: Physics Teacher, Robotics Expert & Classroom Comedian

Graphic by Alexandra Mower

What truly distinguishes LFHS science teacher Mr. Matt Wilen’s teaching methods is his unique ability to blend humor and sarcasm seamlessly into his lessons. 

Wilen has been teaching physics and robotics at LFHS for the past ten years. He is also the head coach of the successful robotics team. 

“He is not afraid to find a way to motivate us and have fun with us in an energetic and sarcastic way.  His humor encourages us to keep going and to remember to have fun even in the most stressful moments” Said senior Sydney Kirages, and captain of the the LFHS Robotics Team. 

As a teacher, Wilen he excels at simplifying complex concepts and demonstrating their real-world applications, making physics come alive for his students.

His quick wit and hyper intelligence infuse his lessons with life and energy. His approach to teaching, characterized by humor and an ability to make complex concepts accessible, resonates deeply with his students. 

According to Kuzera, his humor is the quality that truly “sets him apart from other teachers” bringing his classroom to life. The annual egg drop and boat races are just a couple of examples of his hands-on teaching style, inspiring students to think creatively and apply their knowledge to real-world challenges

He brings this very same passion and sense of creativity to his Robotics students. 

“Wilen reminds me that learning can be fun. He makes failing fun because he makes sure that we learn from our mistakes” Said Kirages. 

Kuzera shares one of her favorite qualities of Wilen being his many hidden talents like the time he brought a unicycle to school after an Open House one year.

“He was whizzing down the high school hallways on his innovative creation that was simply hilarious and oh-so memorable,” Said Kuzera. 

Many don’t notice, but a unique feature about Wilen is that he matches his pens to his shirts everyday.

“One day on St. Patrick’s day I wore  green shirt and a green pen, and a student pointed it out so I kept it a tradition,” Wilen said.

However, being a teacher is not his only talent. “He’s a crafty handyman and uses his physics and robotics knowledge to build things like a shed in his backyard.  He’s incredibly athletic and can easily scale a climbing wall, play a 90-minute soccer game, or beat pretty much anyone at Whirlyball,” Said Kuzera. 

He’s a friend, colleague, husband, and father.  Wilen’s dedication to his work, friends, and family is an inspiration to all who cross his path. It’s clear that Wilen is a teacher who any student would be lucky to have.