Who is winning the Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake beef?

Lake Forest Students Reactions to Homecoming 2023

Homecoming impacts students and is an essential milestone in their high school experience, for better or worse. People had various reactions to the dance; some claimed it was overhyped, and some were pleasantly surprised. 

Being a freshman attending your first high school dance can be frightening. There are a lot of curiosities and expectations leading up to the dance. 

Students dancing in the crowd at the dance. (Courtesy of Danielle Moore)

“My first homecoming was fun, but I thought it was going to be a little better than it was. I feel like the dance is overhyped. I definitely enjoyed the pre and post-parties more than the dance itself.” said freshman Bain Flavin.

While comparing freshmen’s experiences to the experiences of seniors, it is clear that the seniors are more accustomed to the homecoming scene and less stressed before the dance.

“I honestly am not anxious for homecoming, but I feel like I was definitely stressed in the past, but now I don’t really care. I am just excited to have a good time with my friends,” said senior Hannah Balmelli days before homecoming.

Seniors expressed that since they have limited dances left, it’s crucial to not take them for granted and to try your best to have a good time. 

“This dance was the longest I’ve stayed compared to any other dance because I was having a lot more fun. I really liked the DJ this year and being with my friends in front of the mosh pit,” said senior Dylan Rich.

LFHS seniors on the DJ stage enjoying their last Homecoming dance. (Courtesy of Danielle Moore)

Many seniors agree with Rich’s response and think that school dances get better and better as the years go on. 

“The DJ was a huge setup from last year. Everyone looked like they were having so much more fun than the previous years, especially the seniors,” said senior Rachel Silvers. 

Although there have been many compliments about this year’s DJ and the mosh pits, it’s not a site for everyone.

“This homecoming was my favorite dance so far, but my least favorite part is when you’re in the middle of the dance floor in the mosh pit, and people step on your feet in dress shoes and there are really sweaty people in the mosh pit, which made it smell really bad,” said junior Mona Ferraioli. 

With the last-minute change to an indoor homecoming, students were concerned about how it would affect the dance.

“I was scared that homecoming would be similar to the turnabout which was inside because it was not enjoyable. The school and students did much better this year with an indoor dance. I was very surprised. The energy was much better, and the decorations made for a good carnival theme,” said junior Sara Drowne. 

The homecoming dance isn’t the only thing students look forward to around this time. The homecoming football game sets up the vibe for the dance. 

LFHS students hyping up the student section at the Homecoming football game. (Photo courtesy of Alexandra Mower)

“The football game brought the mood up a lot more at the dance. The football team fighting really hard to get that win was outstanding, so congratulations to them; that was awesome, and I had a lot of fun at the game,” Rich said.

After Homecoming, there was an energy switch throughout the hallways. 

“I think there was a lot to talk about and funny stories from homecoming, so everyone was really energetic in the hallways on Monday,” said junior Annie Gibbons.