Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

LFHS Choir Sings for World Peace Day

Sounds of peace rang through the halls of Lake Forest High School on Thursday, September 21, the International Day of Peace.

Every year, the Lake Forest High School choir participates in AVoice4Peace, where choirs worldwide sing the South African hymn, Ukuthula, to promote international peace.

In September of 2016, the Nairobi Chamber Chorus and the Festival Singers of Florida held the first AVoice4Peace event to celebrate the day of peace and non-violence. The event held in Nairobi, Kenya provided a way for musicians alike to devote time to sing about and embrace peace.

Choir director Mr. Begale has peace as a top priority.

“What we value, we put our attention to,” said Begale. “We value peace and music plays a big role in it.”

While one choir singing about peace won’t change the world, Begale believes that it will still have a positive impact.

“Standing up in the moment and singing can put peace into perspective for the students,” said Begale. “If you don’t make room for music, there won’t be a vehicle for putting things into words that need to be put into words.”

Junior Millie Foley calls Ukuthula “amazing and beautiful.”

“I really feel at peace when singing Ukuthula,” said Foley. “It’s a way to kinda let go of everything.”

Ukuthula is a song of South African heritage to encourage peace. It became the AVoice4Peace song due to its simplicity, but powerfulness. 

Students involved in music at LFHS enjoy this yearly opportunity to embrace the choir community.

“It may not bring world peace,” said senior Georgia Sottosanto-Sorenson, “but it definitely brings peace to everyone in the choir for the ten minutes that we’re singing it.”