Who is winning the Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake beef?

Lake Forest High School Environmental Club: A Path to Sustainability

The Environmental Club window painting for Homecoming this year. Photo courtesy of The Environmental Club Instagram (@lfhsenviroclub)

LFHS is home to a varying and diverse selection of student clubs that give students a place to express their passions. For the students who want to make an impact on the environment surrounding us, the LFHS Environmental Club provides a place to do just that. 

The club recently had its first meeting of the year with its newest sponsor Michelle Glyman. Students in this club are able to create a community by working together in order to achieve a more sustainable environment within their high school. 

Our high school has made a significant effort to increase sustainability. We also would like to raise awareness of how important it is for the individual to be aware of their own influence on the environment,” said member of the club, Lauren McFarland, “It should be the first thought of the students at LFHS to live sustainably instead of being reminded.”

In order to set an expectation of the environmental club a group of members implementing sustainability and preserving the local environment hopes to be followed as an example by their peers. 

With an ever-changing world, the students of this club hope to change the environment for the better by starting smaller-scale changes like their own high school. 

“I would like to get LFHS back into recycling. Students seem to feel like the reasons and responsibility to recycle at school have fallen by the wayside. I would like to empower them to make a difference in the process of our consumption and use of recyclable items.” Said Glyman.

The goals of the club are to raise awareness of environmental issues such as reducing waste, reusing, conserving energy, and protecting natural resources. 

“Our first goal was to lay the foundation for the next upcoming weeks. We discussed future plans and new possible ideas to get more students involved with the club. We had an open discussion to bring ideas to the table that could bring us even closer to our goal of making the high school more environmentally friendly.” Said senior Clare Crawford, president of the Environmental Club. 

The Environmental Club is planning to have a bake sale during lunch to raise money for great causes such as Earth Week, guest speakers, and any other activities they are planning to do. 

The club is planning to do a work day at Lake Forest Open Lands. The goal of these work days is to get rid of buckthorn. Buckthorn is an invasive species that outcompete native plants for light, moisture, and nutrients. 

Their most recent activity is painting their window for the upcoming homecoming dance to spread awareness about their club.

“Enviro Club expands beyond LFHS every time a Scout and their family makes an effort to avoid the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain ecological balance,” said Glyman,  “Did you refill a water bottle today? Turn off your car while waiting for a friend? Did you or your parent turn off the air conditioner since the weather is so temperate? This winter, will you put on a sweater so the heater doesn’t have to run as much?”

There are so many ways to make a difference in the environment and awareness and effort are key. The Environmental Club is doing their part to set LFHS on a path for sustainability. 

View Comments (1)
$600
$800