How you feeling about prom on a boat?

Pop Culture Club Fosters Safe Space for Students

The club’s trip to the arcade Enterrium last year.
Mary Toledano

Lake Forest High School is immensely diverse in the interests and ideologies of the student body. This diversity is reflected in the various clubs that students form based on their unique interests. One such club is the Pop Culture Club.

The Pop Culture Club, formerly the Comic Club, is an inclusive group of students who are interested in a variety of media circulating the world. The club discusses TV shows, new movies, video games, manga, music and other categories that pop culture envelops.  Discussion and sharing of ideas by those intrigued by such pop culture concepts is welcomed. 

The club currently meets in the Senior Commons on Mondays after school for open-ended discussions and the planning of group activities. The meetings remain casual and allow anyone who wishes to participate a chance to speak. 

“Meetings at Pop Culture Club are fairly informal while we talk about fundraising ideas, movies we want to watch together, games and places we want to go that relate to our club,” said Mary Toledano, a tech supervisor and the club’s adult overseer. “We talk about what we’ve been reading, watching, and playing, as well as what is coming up and what we hope to see.” 

In the club’s most recent meeting, a discussion was held regarding the recent release of the video game Baldur’s Gate 3 and whether or not the $60 price tag was worth the quality of the game. Other topics included planning a movie night in the RMA this October for the film Coraline, establishing a future field trip to Mitsuwa Marketplace in November, and finding the fundraising needed to fund such trips and activities. 

The reinventing of the club’s identity began at the end of the 2021-2022 school year with the decision that Oni Villanueva was to take over as club president the following year. The club had been experiencing a decline in activity and membership but after the club’s revamp, the group has not only grown in size but has also strengthened their bond.

“Pop Culture Club has definitely changed a lot from when I first participated, since back then, it was only four members and it was really awkward but now the club feels more like a family,” said Nadine Chan, the club’s co-president. “I know everyone in the club, I have an idea about what they are interested in, and we can joke around with Mrs. T and each other. I honestly find it a place for everyone and the activities we do explore the interests we have.”

The Pop Culture Club emphasizes the diverse group of interests which its members bring to the table. The unique perspectives from each member of the media that they are consuming bring to light new understandings and appreciation for the entertainment they indulge in daily. 

“Pop Culture is all the things we take in that are popular usually among the younger crowd. Music, movies, television, comics, shows and more. It’s the trends we experience that are always changing, and it’s great to look back at the pop culture of different times as well. It’s a pretty big part of culture and society,” Toledano said.

As an exploration of the club’s interest in pop culture and new adventures, the Pop Culture Club took a field trip last school year in May to Anime Central (ACen). The club got to spend the day exploring the convention floor and panels while partaking in cosplay and viewing the wares of various vendors and artists. 

“I loved the ACen trip because we had so much time to explore the convention floor and I got to meet a lot of really cool people,” said Charlotte Beckman, the Social Media Manager of the Pop Culture Club. 

The club plans to attend another convention this year and continue to embark on adventures of a similar nature with new members joining. The club hopes to grow a safe community of open-minded and eager individuals with interests of all sorts within the pop culture realm. 

The club’s leaders each have their own unique likes and curiosities that they contribute to the group. 

“I am a big fan of D&D, Star Wars and DC Comics,” said Toledano.

Whereas other club members said they prefer books over movies.

“I consume mostly open-world RPG games and literature, and as far as literature goes, I like to read a lot of Xianxia and light novels,” said Beckman. “I also enjoy the occasional anime.”

While the group isn’t incredibly large, it is continuing to expand, and club members are excited about the activities and new experiences they will share together throughout the year.