Who is winning the Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake beef?

Fellowship of Christian Athletes returns

Courtesy of Ariel Ellison

After a year-long hiatus, juniors Tim Dan and Nate Williams step up to lead the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) club.

At a football preseason practice, Coach Lilja noticed Williams’ shirt from an FCA summer camp. Lilja mentioned that LFHS previously hosted the club, which was led by alumni Lilian Alarcon and Helena Murphy. 

Williams reached out to teammate Dan, and they agreed to take on the club as co-leaders.

Lilja helped connect Dan and Williams with Mr. Stackhouse, the Lake County FCA coordinator, who introduced FCA to LFHS in 2018. They attended a local FCA banquet and began to familiarize themselves with the program’s structure and curriculum. 

Courtesy of Mrs. Williams

Assembling a small group in August before the school year, the two prepared for how to lead the club through Bible studies and brainstormed activities for fellowship. Despite having never attended a meeting, Dan was comfortable taking on his new leadership role.

“There was no pressure because we prepared a good amount for this, and we left it all in God’s hands,” said Dan. 

The biggest concern the group faced going into the school year was the turnout. The notoriously small club averaged five participants in 2022. Though hopes were high to increase attendance, the controversial nature of a religious club in a public school left Williams unsure of what to expect.

“At first, I was worried about how many people would come and if it would be worth it. My parents reminded me that even if only one person comes, and you bring one person to faith, that is still a whole life changed. All we can do is point people to the Lord and let him take care of the rest,” said Williams.

Not long after the preparation, the first meeting on Sept. 7th rolled around. By 8:15 a.m. that Thursday, the meeting began and every seat was filled. The atmosphere was extremely energetic as donut holes and protein shakes were shared amongst the members.

“I’ve been coming to FCA since when it started here at LFHS and I’ve never seen this many students in attendance,” said Lilja.

Dan and Williams are optimistic about the future of the club, hoping to inspire stronger faith and unity within the student body.