Should homework be banned?

Homework shouldn’t be banned.

Dylan Cardona, Staff Writer

No… 

To first tackle this problem, we must define the meaning of homework. This is the work that the teacher assigns at the end of class and is due in class the next day. Now while this type of homework is loathed by some students and often only looked at during the period-of by others, we should pay attention to its importance.

When you get out of school, drive home, take off your backpack, and have something to eat, by that time, you’d have already forgotten more than half of the information that you learned that day. 

Homework keeps the brain engaged in the material, resulting in better retention of important information.

If you want to remember what you learned in class, practice it more. This technique is called “Spaced Repetition.” It’s often used in language learning to help students acquire language. 

If they’re exposed to a language for any amount of time over a long period of time, they’ll have a much better chance of remembering what they learned rather than trying to cram in a bunch of words right before their trip on vacation. This method also proves useful in schoolwork. It has been shown to be more effective to study for 30 minutes every day for four days rather than have a two-hour study session the night before a test.

This directly relates to a process called “Encoding,” where information is processed and stored in your long-term memory for later use and easier comprehension. 

You only have class for about an hour each day. That isn’t usually enough time to reinforce a lot of information, considering you will most likely have to do this for each class. The more effort you put into remembering something, the better chance you will recall it given more time. 

That worksheet you might get for math or physics might seem like an impossible challenge, but since your brain is working hard to figure out the problem, you’ll get more benefits. Looking up the answers to every question is a shortcut that won’t get you anywhere. It’s best to ask questions, revisit your notes, and try to work it out. 

Another thing about homework is that you are self-accountable. You don’t have the luxury of a teacher at your disposal to answer any questions. This can often be the difference between good and great students. While a good student may pay attention in class and complete classwork, a great student will read the textbook, maybe even try some of the practice problems, and reach out for help if needed. Taking that extra step can be crucial to a student’s overall success. 

If students are really that dedicated to their schoolwork, they will take advantage of every resource and opportunity available. 

That being said, it’s not for everyone. Finland has completely let go of homework. Their teachers believe that the time to do after-school activities, hobbies, and passions is wasted on hours of after-school work. They focus on teaching more life lessons and things that might be useful for students after grade school.

“Value-Based Education” (VBE) is an approach that bases itself on human values that aim to round out a student to prepare them for a future society. Many schools with these ideals greatly emphasize allowing students to follow their passion. It’s not about ranks or grades but creating a safe environment for students to grow. 

Lastly, in a changing world, we don’t know what might happen to homework for the rest of the world. Until that day, however, we will continue to complete our weekly packets, worksheets, and chapters, hoping to hold onto some of that knowledge when the test day finally arrives.