College advice from LFHS alumni

Mariella Haubner and Mia DiValerio

With the May 1 decision day deadline approaching,  seniors are feeling the pressure and anxiety that comes with their next chapter: college. Most students are sick of their parents giving them the same advice once a week when the topic is brought up, but what if we heard advice from college freshmen?

The Forest Scout reached out to 10 LFHS alumni who are finishing their first year of college with one question: What do you know now that you wish you knew this time last year?

Anna Pierson – New York University majoring in Environmental Studies and Documentary

“Before coming to college, I wish I knew that it would take even longer than you think to adjust to a new environment and new people. I know it’s cliche and everyone says to be patient and don’t worry if you don’t feel like you find your ‘people’ right away. But, even knowing this, you may start to doubt yourself when everyone around you seems to have found their best friends immediately. Trust me, they haven’t. Something that has helped me with this has been meeting as many people as possible. It might be easy to get caught in a cycle of only spending time with the first people you meet because you know them. But, the first people you meet might not (probably will not) be your ‘people.’ Branching out, joining sports teams, talking to new people, and staying open-minded has made a tremendous difference in feeling like I am where I am supposed to be.”

Padraig Day – San Diego State University majoring in Psychology 

“The thing I wish I knew most before coming to school is that it doesn’t matter what school you go to; it is all about what you make out of the experience. The most important things aren’t about an acceptance rate or competitiveness. The truly important things are establishing good connections and support systems, getting into a good healthy routine, and making whatever school you end up at a good fit for you to make the college experience fulfilling and worthwhile.”

Megan Margolis- Brandeis University majoring in Business and playing volleyball

“Being a student-athlete in college has been great in so many ways. It’s very important to me that the team I am on is not only competitive but has a great culture. It is safe to say that I have definitely found that on Brandeis Volleyball. When I arrived in Boston back in August, I didn’t quite know what to expect. However, throughout our fall season, I got to experience one of the most supportive, diligent, and positive environments I have ever been a part of. If you are playing a sport in college, focus on being a team player. Playing time is not as important as attitude and effort. And at the end of the day, your academics are what is most important. I have met so many influential people that I would never have met if I wasn’t on my volleyball team. Some of my biggest role models on and off the court are older team members of mine. I have connections to grad students and seniors that have been helpful to me in my academics as well as in my job search. So don’t be afraid to ask your older friends for help. They will most likely have been through the same thing you are currently going through.”

Rose Nugent – University of Illinois Urbana Champaign majoring in Marketing and Management 

“I highly recommend bringing a lot of socks because every time I do my laundry I lose like two pairs ,and I’m always out of socks. I also highly recommend getting a really light vacuum. You’ll need to vacuum once a week because the room gets insanely dusty. Get a carpet so the room feels cozy. Buy lint rollers to use on your carpet to pick up hair because vacuums can’t pick up hair from carpets. Buy a ton of Liquid IV, and Emergen C. Take a vitamin C and D supplement (unless you’re going somewhere sunny) every day because you will get sick so much at school. Drink an Emergen C every night before going out. Drink an entire electrolyte drink or water bottle every night before going to bed after being out all night (this will save you). You’re gonna feel empty the first three days/nights, possibly and that’s completely okay. You will become much more comfortable in your dorm and your school and then it will start to feel more normal.”

Jack Blume – University of Dayton transferring to Colorado State, majoring in English

“If I could go back in time and give advice to my younger self, the first thing I would say is definitely be prepared to experience a number of ups and downs that you have not experienced before in your life. For me, it was adapting to a whole new level of school, having issues with friends, homesickness, and many little things in between. This happens to everyone in some way, I can promise you that. Sometimes, you’ll be down and constantly see posts on social media of someone you know having the time of their life, and you’ll say to yourself, ‘Wow, I wish I were having that great of a time here,’ but they are probably going through the same ups and downs you are. You may have issues with friends not being the best fit for you. Surrounding yourself with friends who you can goof off with and who will be there for you is one of the best decisions you can make. You may not be used to the change in life that college hits you with. However long it may take, you will get used to it. Just live in the moment, go with the flow, and enjoy yourself.” 

“I will be transferring next year, so another thing I’ll say is that you may end up hating your school for whatever reason, but you’re not trapped. If you consider leaving, make sure the next school you go to is one you’ll fall in love with indefinitely. If you consider transferring, don’t shut yourself off from the connections you have made at school. You never know when you will see them next and they definitely will be bummed out that you’re leaving. In this situation, you must think about yourself and what makes you happy.”

“Finally, some housekeeping: be ready to want to kill your roommate at times whether you picked to be with them or not, you will feel this way. Sometimes being in their presence will make you annoyed.  Trust me, you’ll get what I’m saying after living with them for a few months. Don’t overpack, you will find that you don’t have enough space for all of the clothes you bought. Get to know your teachers, and 110% get a futon.”

Colin Martens – Northeastern majoring in Architecture 

“One thing I wish I did before coming to school was look at extracurricular activities ahead of time because once school got busy, it was difficult to find those opportunities. Also, establishing a time to talk with friends and family is important because school can get hectic at times, and it can be really grounding and beneficial to check in with people you love and miss. If you really wanted to get ahead, you could try to make a plan of study with your advisor and ask important questions about your major or courses to set you up nicely for the next four years at your school.”

Lauren Atchley – The Ohio State University majoring in Pre-nursing

“As a college freshman, it’s a really exciting time in life, and there’s going to be a lot that’s new and fun. I would say my best advice is to stay ahead in academics. I won’t sugarcoat when I say college is really hard. There are a lot of temptations when it comes to partying and other fun activities that will distract you from school. It’s great to have those things as a break, but I’ll be the first to say I spent way too much time giving in to those opportunities during my freshman year, and I dug myself into a bit of a hole. It’s important to remember that unless it’s an absolute once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, those things will always be there when you want them.”

Jake Milliman- Texas Christian University majoring in Pre-business and playing football

“Before coming to TCU, I was super excited to begin a new chapter of my life. But there are a bunch of things I wish I had learned before coming to school. First, time management is crucial. College requires a lot more independent study and takes a lot more self-discipline than high school. It’s important to prioritize certain things before you have fun. Secondly, I found that it is 100% okay to ask for help. There are so many resources at school that can be great to help you succeed not only as a student but as a person. Another lesson I learned is that it’s important to take care of physical and mental health. In college, there is a lot of fun. And I mean a lot. This can take away from physical health because if you jam in the fun with school, that leaves no time for exercise. A lot of athletes in high school come to college and get out of shape solely because of a change in routine. High school athletes are used to having a structured routine, where their sport requires physical exercise every day. In college, it’s all up to you to stay in shape. Mental health is extremely important as well. This is the first time in your life that you’re alone for a long amount of time. It is very important to check up on how you’re doing mentally. A good way I liked to help my mental health was to always be around people. There are a lot of new people in college, meet new friends!

Last but not least. Registering for classes is brutal. Make sure you check ratemyprofessors.com and check to see other student’s opinions on your potential teachers. This will save you from dropping a class and losing credit hours.”

Abby Rappin- Santa Clara University majoring in Strategic Communication and minoring in Graphic Design

“Something I really wish I had known before starting college was that it’s okay to do things at your own pace. The first quarter I had a class that was way too hard and really affecting my mental health, so I decided to drop it. It’s important to go at your own pace and do what works for you because college isn’t for anyone else but you. Another thing I wish I knew is that finding a roommate via Instagram doesn’t always work out because you can’t fully read someone through social media (I learned this the hard way.) So if you’re stressing about having a good roommate, it may be better to go random. Starting college is scary but also so exciting. Just be yourself, and you will find your people and your things.”

Travis DiTomasso- University of Miami undeclared in business

“One thing that I didn’t consider before starting school was how to manage my time. Developing good study habits is a good idea because college requires a lot of independent study and self-discipline. This could just be such as setting aside study time, going to every class, and getting work done early so you can still go out and have fun. I have a class at 8:00 am and one at 6:35 pm, so efficiently managing my time is pretty important to me. I was initially worried about the workload and classes, but you will get used to it and find your own ways to do well. This goes hand in hand with picking classes; make a schedule that fits your needs. Lastly, finding friends is going to seem hard at first, and the people you meet at the beginning of the semester might not end up being your close friends, and that’s okay. Be open to new experiences, meet new people, and explore new interests. No matter where you end up, you’ll find your way and figure things out as you go along.”