TEDxLFHS 2023 preview

TEDxLFHS 2023 preview

Will Atzeff, Staff Writer

Every year, the LFHS hosts a TEDxLFHS event to highlight students, teachers, and innovative thinkers throughout the building. The TEDxYouth event places a strong emphasis on empowering young people in Lake Forest and the surrounding communities. Although the TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, TEDxLFHS is self-organized by the school. 

The theme of this year’s event is “Galaxies Unknown” and premieres on Wednesday, March 15, during block periods four and six (10:25 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.).

The topics for this year’s talks include a wide variety of subjects such as beauty standards, the power of informed debate, and food allergies. Along with the speeches, there is a diverse lineup of musical acts, more than any previous year, to further highlight student talent throughout the building.

2023 TEDx lineup

Two of the eight speakers this year are returners from last year’s event, while the other six are speaking at TEDxLFHS for the first time. One of these first-year speakers, Senior Aiden Marquez, is discussing the importance of discovering something you love doing in his speech about stop-motion animation. Marquez gives credit to his animation teachers, Ms. Herget and Mrs. Thomas, for motivating him to join TEDxLFHS.

“In a way, I view giving this speech as a way of thanking her for the support they’ve given me all these years,” said Marquez.  

Although Marquez is excited about the opportunity to share his ideas, he has mixed feelings about presenting to an audience. 

“I’m a fairly close-knit person, so to say something like this in front of an audience is a new and unique experience,” said Marquez. “I’m also fairly nervous for that same reason. A crowd of people is quite the departure from anything that I’ve said or done before.”

Speaking at TEDxLFHS takes a lot of courage, but the experience can be inspiring for both the speaker and the audience.

“I love when a student finishes a talk and walks backstage–it’s a mixture of excitement, relief, and pride. It’s fun to see!” said TEDxLFHS creative director Jimmy Juliano.  

Marquez’s aspirations for the speakers and performances are to inspire, teach, and broaden the perspectives of those in the audience.

“I don’t expect my speech to change the world, but if even one person can apply what I say about passion and apply it to their own life, that’d be enough for me,” said Marquez.

Both Marquez and Juliano were very enthusiastic about encouraging new speakers for next year. 

“If you’re looking to speak: hone in on an idea that you’re passionate about, be yourself, and think about how you’d share that idea in a bite-sized, interesting, and unique way,” said Juliano. 

Those looking to volunteer to speak next year can visit the EdTech Studio for a possible position. While it can be intimidating to speak in front of the school, current members advise you to put yourself out there. 

“Just know that you can’t expect that to change unless you actively take action to change that for yourself. You have no idea what opportunities can arise from your passion unless you go and seek them out,” said Marquez.

LFHS students wanting to secure a seat in the Little Theatre for the event can do so through http://www.tedxlfhs.com/attend.html, and parents or community members who wish to attend must email [email protected]. The event will also be live-streamed from tedxlfhs.com for those who want to view it remotely.