Intramural bowling could be right up your alley

Courtesy of Yusra Mekki

Tess Meulbroek, Staff Writer

A new intramural sports team has joined the many unique extracurricular activities that LFHS offers: bowling. The Intramural Bowling team is not only a fun way to spend your afternoon but has become a close-knit community that students can’t stop raving about. 

Since early January, students have met every Wednesday after school at the Bertrand Bowling Lanes in Waukegan, spending around an hour learning to bowl and spending time with a fun group of friends.

Yusra Mekki bowling. Courtesy of Yusra Mekki.

Senior Sofia Davis has attended almost every meeting and always has something good to say about her afternoons spent at the lanes.

“I wasn’t doing much this time of year, so I was super excited to give [intramural bowling] a try,” Davis said.

Many students feel that this time of year can feel long and tiring; the weather makes it hard to stay motivated, school is back in full swing and there isn’t a lot to do. 

Luckily, IM Bowling provides students with something fun to do to get away from the stress of this time of year. 

Part of the Intramural bowling group. Courtesy of Yusra Mekki.

Senior Lakshmi Ohja enjoys attending the meetings because it offers her a “good break in the week” amidst schoolwork and other activities.  

Players can join with little to no experience and still have a great time. Aside from the fun bonding aspects of the team, players have also found that they’ve actually become better bowlers by consistently going to IM Bowling meetings. 

Davis added that, at her first match, she scored 23 points, but by the next week, she managed to get 79. 

“The coach, Mrs. Jones, teaches really good and helpful techniques, and Mr. Werner is very encouraging and supportive,” Davis said. 

Students at the Bertrand Bowling Lanes. Courtesy of Yusra Mekki.

Support seems to be a common theme amongst the group of bowlers. No matter the amount of experience, everyone is positive and wants one another to have fun. 

“The first time I went, the ball went right into the gutter, but everyone cheered for me anyway because they’re all so nice,” senior Grace Thomas said.