Coach LaScala honored at Senior Night game for 300th win

Bobby Alzamora, Staff Writer

Coach Phil LaScala picked up his 300th career win last week against the Warren Blue Devils, winning the game with the score of 34-30. He was met by a mix of a water and Gatorade shower in the locker room following the victory. Coach LaScala picked up his first win in the 2005-2006 season. 

“I felt great to hit that milestone, especially when in my first couple seasons we didn’t have the best records,” said Coach LaScala. 

In his first season as the head coach for the Scouts the basketball team went 5-22 on the year. For his first three seasons, the teams never could get double digit wins on the season. Then they found their stride and became a powerhouse in the North Suburban Conference.  

On Friday night the Scouts hosted the Mundelein Mustangs for a Senior Night showdown. The Scouts got off to a hot start in the first quarter using their defense to help build the early lead, as they have been doing for most of the season. The student section was getting very active early in the game and was packed before the Senior Night festivities even started. They rolled with an all senior starting five made up of Jocum Schabacker, Noah Portalatin, Brady Marzella, Anthony Mordini, and Henrik Goldsberry. 

The Scouts used the energy that they picked up on defense and the energy that carried over from the students to turn up the intensity on the court. Junior Bolurin Taiwo threw down a dunk on a fast break that really got the crowd going for two of his 12 points. The Scouts went into halftime leading 33-31, with control of the game. 

Before the second half got started, Coach LaScala was honored for his 300th victory which came last Tuesday against Warren. He was celebrated at half court with a standing ovation and was given a ball with the date and final score from the game. 

When the Scouts came out in the second half, they picked up right where they left off. They created turnovers on defense and hitting shots on offense. Great ball movement helped create wide open scoring opportunities for the Scouts. They were able to maintain a solid 12 point lead for most of the third and fourth quarters. The Scouts were never really able to pull away from the Mustangs and blow the game open. After the third quarter the Scouts were up 14 by a score of 52-38. They continued to show their defensive prowess in the fourth quarter and finished the game winning with the score of 60-46 and earned victory number 301 for coach LaScala. Asa Thomas came off the bench and had a game high 31 points with 6 made threes, junior Bolurin Taiwo, also from the bench, added 12 points.

The Scout improved to 18-10 overall (9-4 in conference) and will play the Zion-Benton Zee-Bees on Wednesday, February 15th at 7:00. It will be the last North Suburban Conference game for the Scouts, who will try to finish conference play with a win on the road.