Varsity lacrosse season preview

Austin Rice, Staff Writer

With the spring sports season just weeks away, the boy’s lacrosse team has begun preparation for a comeback year. After falling to Loyola in the IHSA state championship for the second consecutive year, the team is fixated on getting their shot at glory. 

This has been a different off-season for the Scouts, as former head coach Marc Thiergart has stepped down after seven seasons with the team. Although this will be an adjustment, the team is very excited about their new head coach, David Hone.

Coach Hone has been working with Lake Forest players since the early days of the local youth program LFLA and has assisted in past off-seasons with the lacrosse team. Hone played college lacrosse at Villanova and aims to help the Scouts reach their full potential. 

Even with this coaching change, the off-season has still been intense for the Scouts as senior captains Jack Carrabine, Harry Kotlarz, and Tommy Van Camp have run lifts, runs, and even some practices.

“Our new coach has been great so far,” said Carrabine. “His knowledge of how lacrosse is played will help us install a new system and recover from losing key players from last year’s roster.”

Weekly practices and workouts have kept the Scouts in shape during the offseason as they prepare to take the field in late February. With tryouts just around the corner, the team has started to practice more and work out the kinks in fundamental skills.

The Scout’s schedule was released a few weeks back. Based on first looks, the Scouts will have to fight hard for every win, facing opponents like Loyola, York, Wheaton Academy, and other strong competitors.

“I think Loyola and Wheaton will be our toughest games this season. They beat us last year, and they should be good again this year,” said sophomore Marty Hippel. “Both teams have great returning players who are very well coached.” 

This year, the Scouts have a lot of strength in their defense, with three close defenders returning from last season: Marty Hippel, Tommy Van Camp, and Danny Van Camp.

The Van Camp brothers, also known as the Van Clamps, are known for their stick skills but also can lock down and play physical defense when necessary. 

On the other side of the field, the Scout’s offense lost multiple key players. This will be a big adjustment for the team, however, with junior captain Graham Garrigan returning, there is much hope for an acceptable offensive performance this season. 

As tryouts near, expectations become higher on and off the field. The Scouts look to come back hot after last year’s devastating championship loss. 

“We’ll be fine. We have enough guys to replace the ones who left,” said Garrigan. “I think everyone on the team will be able to fill the roles of last year’s seniors.”