The slow, constant lure of senioritis tempts a new class of seniors

In the cold, early months of second semester, many seniors are struggling with the inevitable: senioritis.

Some seniors who are already committed to their universities are feeling the pressure to perform  drop, and they are starting to slack off with their homework and overall classwork. 

“Now that I have gotten into the school I wanted to, I feel stress free to the point where I am not motivated to do my work. I haven’t done any homework this semester,” said senior Robert Passinato.

Even students not yet in college, say it’s hard to stay motivated with graduation just months away.

“I am slacking, even though I haven’t heard back from a lot of the schools I applied to yet. I haven’t done a single piece of homework all semester, and I am not even feeling stressed about it,” said senior Kareem Alsikafi.

While it’s popular to complain about senioritis, guidance counselor Maureen Lamick says seniors tend to get their work done, despite the complaints. 

“I think it’s too early in the semester to see if students are slacking because there are not many points in the gradebook, but it is very common for seniors to come in and try to lighten their load,” said  Lamick. “However, overall I think senioritis is a mindset more than an actual shift in work ethic.”

There are staff members in place to help students who struggle.

Laurie Hektor, senior study hall advisor,  watches for students who might be falling behind.

“I monitor all the students who have a D or below in a subject. If I see a pattern, I’ll alert the dean and counselor and either their senior privilege gets pulled or the dean and I will adjust their electives and they will have to sit here to get organized and get their grades up so their commits don’t get pulled,” she said. 

MTSS coordinator David Hain works with seniors who may need to do well this semester because they struggled in previous years. 

“Some are confident that the second semester grades won’t weigh in on their college decisions and acceptance. But, for others, there is actually another form of senioritis where students have a sensation of urgency from fear that they have not prepared for what’s coming next,” Hain said.